• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

1/4 inch hapalopus (pumkin patch) sling care

ChrisFas

I recently acquired a quarter inch pumkin patch sling. I guess the only question I have is how moist should the substrate be? I have 15 tarantulas and several slings, just never dealt with one this small.
20191111_211833.jpg

GarField000

3 Year Member
Ow what a big one :)
I have 2 Hapalopus spec.Colombia "big". One is already a few years. I keep one side moist and indeed have some spagnum mos. I have fake plants so it can web.
The small one is VERY small. And than I have an even smaller Hapalopus triseriatus. Those 2 are in a very small container and I have a little peace of spagnum moss so they can hide. Mine never dug a hole so the spgamnum is for hiding and keep a bit moist.

ChrisFas

Thanks for the reply. very helpful. it is currently hiding under a small piece of cork bark and I do have a chunk of wet spagmam moss for it to drink from. Also eating fruit flies and prekilled crickets. Feeling much more confident. thanks again

GarField000

3 Year Member
It will molt often but don't grow much :D
My girlfrined love this species ...

I have a corkbark but he's not under their. He webbed from corkbark/mos to fake plants and created his own little hide. He loves food btw but they bolt out quick if disturbed. Rather then go in hiding they go outside. it happend during rehouse and twice while giving water :D

Crax

Oh I love this species! Houdini is such a sweet baby. Fast too.

Like everyone has said, moss, cork bark I would put off until he's bigger, I put in a small tattoo ink cap in his enclosure for water and then used a bottle cap for when he got a bit bigger. He grew pretty fast. I kept him in a container the maggots came in from the fishing store due to the tight seal around the edges. Before that, he'd escape. They are escape artists at that size so I wouldn't use a normal deli cup that most keep their slings in.

Good luck and such a widdle cutie!

Latest posts