• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Xenesthis

micheldied

3 Year Member
I'm facing the same dilemma here. It's cold in Montreal so TC isn't willing to ship yet (with good reason). I've decided to get 3 Damon diadema on top the of the H. pulchripes I've asked for from them.

Never been interested in the Phormictopus genus, but Phormictopus atrichomatus does look attractive. How big do these get?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think all the Phormictopus sp get around nine inches. I'm not positive though. Ive always considered them to be kind of a cross between a Pampho and a Theraphosa. It's a strange comparison I know. Their colors are muted compared to some of the prettier ones like Pamphos, but once you start noticing them, they're actually good looking, big spiders. And they have a little more spirit then the average giant, which is just gravy :)

micheldied

3 Year Member
I actually don't like the shiny brown look of the carapace on the Phormictopus, but the purple sheen on the P. atrichomatus looks lovely.

I really do like the Amblypygi, I just never picked them up because I thought (for some reason) that they were short lived.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There's actually quite a few good looking Phormictopus species, but plain brown colors never bothered me, there are quite a few brown spiders I love. I do plan on getting a few cancerides as well as the sp. purple and green. It took me quite a while to find out I prefer the big nw terrestrials, but I plan on getting a few species of each genus. Next on my list is T apophysis, stirmi, and a P rufilata. Or two :)

micheldied

3 Year Member
There's actually quite a few good looking Phormictopus species, but plain brown colors never bothered me, there are quite a few brown spiders I love. I do plan on getting a few cancerides as well as the sp. purple and green. It took me quite a while to find out I prefer the big nw terrestrials, but I plan on getting a few species of each genus. Next on my list is T apophysis, stirmi, and a P rufilata. Or two :)

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE big brown spiders. Theraphosa and the Australian Ts I really fancy. It's the combination of shiny and brown I don't quite like, just odd personal taste. T. apophysis are wonderful, IMO the best looking Theraphosa species. I'm also looking to add some P. rufilata to my collection.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Well MassExodus, as you are speaking of Phormictopus spp.: did you already give a close look at Phormictopus platus? I know, I know, it's not exactly the right time to lead you into temptation one more time, but... I have one, and they are stunning: shining gold on the cephalo, almost dark blue legs and opisthosoma, truly beautiful and a little bit underrated. I think P auratus are very similar, but am not sure (as I haven't seen an auratus with my own eyes...). Feeding response = stunning, almost always visible, etc.!

For me too, Xenesthis and Phormictopus are great! Though I still have to discover the Pamphos (never kept one...).

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well MassExodus, as you are speaking of Phormictopus spp.: did you already give a close look at Phormictopus platus? I know, I know, it's not exactly the right time to lead you into temptation one more time, but... I have one, and they are stunning: shining gold on the cephalo, almost dark blue legs and opisthosoma, truly beautiful and a little bit underrated. I think P auratus are very similar, but am not sure (as I haven't seen an auratus with my own eyes...). Feeding response = stunning, almost always visible, etc.!

For me too, Xenesthis and Phormictopus are great! Though I still have to discover the Pamphos (never kept one...).
Ahh, very good looking spider! I'd heard of them but never looked. Believe me I'm not done with the Phormictopus genus :) I spoke to Stamps today, should be getting mine Wednesday :D. This time I'm going to get some unpacking pics, I have a decent camera now. Six beautiful baby giants...I should have picked up a T apophysis..

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Shipping info received. Tomorrow by lunch, baby! finally! I have all the enclosures ready. They're too big for 1 3/4 to 2 inch spiders, but they'll grow into them fast.

enclosures 049.jpg

And here's a little freshly molted A avic for your viewing pleasure, and the most I've seen of my OBTs in months.

enclosures 047.jpg

enclosures 048.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
WP_20160127_11_49_19_Pro.jpg
WP_20160127_11_36_51_Pro.jpg
Ok, this is the last time I'm ordering in the winter. All my slings arrived fat and healthy, but get this. The heatpack was warm, and right next to the slings, but the vials were already quite cool. It's only been in the mail since yesterday evening. As I said, they're healthy but they were sluggish being housed. Except for the P atrichomatus, who both crawled out quite spritely, lmao. I didn't get pics of them, you can guess why. My enclosures are too big, as I said, but I've decided to use them anyway..the slings are all 1 1/2 inches or so, the mascara are smallest, but its easy enough to find them. So here's the species white and the mascara, which is the one with the Christmas tree abdomen.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congrats on finally receiving them! Those slings are beauties (LOVE the Christmas tree pattern on the Pamphos!). It's funny, I received a shipment last winter in which the heat pack was almost cool when I opened the box. The only spiders in the shipment that weren't lethargic were the Phormictopus sp. I ordered. One bolted out of its shipping vial like a bat out of hell and actually startled me. They sure are spunky, even as slings. :)

Again, so glad your new additions finally arrived!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hmm. I guess two instances wouldn't prove it but it seems Phormictopus take cooler temps better then some others, that's interesting. Maybe it's just the toughness that comes with being mean, though..lol

micheldied

3 Year Member
They're adorable. IMO they're hardier than we give them credit for, and can tolerate the cold for short periods of time very well.

I'm using similar sized enclosures for my T. stirmi, which are about the same size as your slings.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They're adorable. IMO they're hardier than we give them credit for, and can tolerate the cold for short periods of time very well.

I'm using similar sized enclosures for my T. stirmi, which are about the same size as your slings.
How many did you get? Theraphosa is next for me, either stirmi or apophysis, or both..and another Phormictopus species :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

You know I just looked at pics of the auratus...that shining gold carapace, and legs too, are stunning..I hope i can find both of those species here..going to search tonight