• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried

PokemonLover

3 Year Member
Help! My smithi (1inch) wont eat, its been 5 days already. Whenever I throw a small roach, my smithi just runs away and she is now very skittish than last week.

Please help!
Im new to the hobby btw

Wg25

3 Year Member
Typical pre-molt behaviour... Just leave him alone till he molts. Slings that size molt very often. Type the species name in Google and read the care sheets. It will tell you everything you need to know! And this thread is only for introductions :) ....so if you have any questions like this...post in the "general tarantula discussion". And remember to leave your T alone for another week after the molt...just water.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My. B. Boehmei wouldn't eat for a whole month every time he was in premolt. Not just that he'd also dig in and I wouldn't see him during that time which was very frustrating.
He's now a guesstimated 1.5" and has turned into a greedy so-and-so. I bet, he'd eat right up to his molt now, but I'm not feeding him, as he is very fat and doesn't need to eat.

Adraps11

3 Year Member
Look at it's abdomen, if it's looking darker than usual, then that's a good indicator of an impending molt. With that species naturally dark coloration it may be difficult to tell though. I'm going through the same with my Tarantula, she's refusing things she'd normally demolish and running away.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Help! My smithi (1inch) wont eat, its been 5 days already. Whenever I throw a small roach, my smithi just runs away and she is now very skittish than last week.

Please help!
Im new to the hobby btw
5 days is nothing for them. Might be premolt, might just not be hungry. Try giving it a prekilled one. As for it being skittish, well that's just how some are.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Look at it's abdomen, if it's looking darker than usual, then that's a good indicator of an impending molt. With that species naturally dark coloration it may be difficult to tell though. I'm going through the same with my Tarantula, she's refusing things she'd normally demolish and running away.
My Boehmei still has a light colored abdomen, but it's squirreled away in it's burrow and blocked the door. Also hasn't eaten since thanksgiving, so i'm frustratingly waiting out their typical month long molting process :)

Latest posts