• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried Mom... 2 1/2" Sweet P hasn't eaten in 126 days

SweetP

3 Year Member
Hi Sweet P's Mom here...

We have 23 T's these days, from slings to matures specimens. We have a two P Metallica's (Sweet P and Sweet P 2 - yes not super original on the second name)

Sweet P (about 2 1/2") we have had about 3 months longer than Sweet P 2. Sweet P 2 (a little over 3") has molted and is quite fat in the abdomen. Sweet P 2 is doing very well.

But the original Sweet P continues to worry me. She hasn't eaten in forever. 126 days and has not molted since we got her Dec 16, 2014. We last changed her enclosure Feb 2015.

She has webbed a little but has some web stuck on one of her spinnerets that will not come off. It seems to hinder her ability to lay webbing. She went from a pretty lilac/blue to brown. I have caught her laying in or over her water dish almost daily for the last week. Her temp is about 72 and her humidity is 75%. She moves a little bit but is pretty lethargic.

I have waited and waited but I am just so worried at this point. I have gotten pretty attached to her. Any suggestions?

Pics are of her from current to soon after we got her.
This if today.

This is from 6/28 ( a month ago)

This is from Dec of 2014.

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:

SweetP

3 Year Member
I think it is odd too.. I am so worried about her ( I will call it a her til I know it is a male) Thanks for the replys

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've never seen this before in a metallica. I have seen something similar in an avic avic, but it was more swollen and purplish than brown..she eventually molted and came out of it alright. But this...wow...I'm at a loss here. Did you research this? Any updates? I'll look into it, I'm curious now.

SweetP

3 Year Member
Finally able to get back into the forum. Sweet P passed a few days after the original post.:( She was in an exoterra terra mini tall. Sweet P 2 did just fine in that size enclosure which she has now outgrown.

Still sad but Sweet P is the only one we have lost since joining the hobby, who wasn't a mature male...

We looked everywhere we could think of for information but really didn't find anything.

swimbait

3 Year Member
Sorry for your loss, it's likely nothing you did. Tarantula diseases are pretty unknown still to most of the hobby though, I think posts like these are good references and sometimes learning lessons. Never seen anything like this before though with such dramatic color change and no molt for so long

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Finally able to get back into the forum. Sweet P passed a few days after the original post.:( She was in an exoterra terra mini tall. Sweet P 2 did just fine in that size enclosure which she has now outgrown.

Still sad but Sweet P is the only one we have lost since joining the hobby, who wasn't a mature male...

We looked everywhere we could think of for information but really didn't find anything.

So glad you came back to update and very sorry it was not a good update. Sorry for the loss of SweetP :(

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Came to this post late but just wanted to say sorry for your loss :(. Everyone baffled by this....me too. I hope all your other Ts still OK. Sweet P 3.0 next?. I name mine like that my 1st GBB was called Sully and my current GBB is wait for it......Sully 2.0