• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

will I get used to spiders dying?

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
I suspect my E.sp.red just died because of a molt issue - I don't think it has molted since I got it 3 months ago,,,but it's hard to tell since so small...but it has appeared to have been doing well - eating & burrowing...all that said I know they are really in 'danger' then...but will I ever get used to them dying? Bummer! :(

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Are you certain that it's not the old exo that you're seeing and the T isn't sitting down a burrow laughing at you, I've had that happen before? Sadly, it doesn't get any easier to lose one, at least for me it doesn't.

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
To answer your question of "will you get used to them dieing?" No, but some won't affect you as much as others. Like my avic, he was cool, didn't do much, pretty to look at. Then it died, think that was the worst one of all that I've lost, probably why he's still my avatar ;) But when my B. albo passed recently, maybe i was ready for it, since he was a mature male, but it wasn't too torn up about him.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@kormath : I'm afraid to get an Avic. for that very reason.

Don't be afraid to get an Avic / Caribena. I put off for a long time as I'd heard how difficult they were to keep and sadly lost my first sling to a bad moult. I was certain I'd followed all the advice correctly, plenty cross ventilation being the main, so I bought another, the cheapest species I could find, an A. laeta (now c. laeta). She thrived and is now an adult. I have since bought a C. versicolor and an A. sp Peru Purple and kept them just the same way and both are doing well. On Tuesday I shall be the delighted owner of an A. Minatrix. They are lovely Ts so please don't deprive yourself of owning one.

Last edited:

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
thanks for all the kind words - for sure it was the spider not the exo...I wish...however I am headed for Repticon next weekend(with the credit card) - that probably wont make it ALL better but it could help!
that said I have a C.versicolor and it is doing well - growing etc...my amazonica seemed to be doing well but died - was shortly after a molt - I dont know - that seems to be such a difficult time...if that old lady in the myth hadnt put her skin back on after she shed so now we dont molt anymore we'd understand the process better...(my favorite 'molting' story)

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Its a very tough subject to deal with, but no death is always hard to deal with, some are easier to deal with than others but we care for these animals on a daily basis so its kinda hard not to feel sympathy for them when they pass.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Avics scare me too since I lost my blue velvet sling.. I don't have any, every serious keeper should have one as a rule in my opinion so I need to get one... I say that everyday about different T's lol
Why scared of avics? Are they hard to raise? I've had 3 avics in my time keeping Ts but all adults, my first 2 were males, didn't make it more then a year but still cool to watch and pretty easy going, a little skittish but very docile sometimes. Finally got a big female and she's a sweetheart, hopefully I'll get to keep her for awhile.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Yeah I believe they're prone to sudden unexplained deaths especially as slings... I've just put off getting one again, there's so many mixed messages about how to keep them... TSS here advises getting glass panels cut for exo terra vivariums to cover the top grill to keep humidity yet others say you can't have too much vent.. I've just avoided them lol
Understandable, I read that too, some say it needs to be humid and others say well ventilated. Iv always kept mine in dryer conditions, ill just spray down the sides of the enclosure every few days after drying out completely. Though my males both died, they were thriving, both molted out into maturity. Avics aren't long lived to begin with. That's why im hoping my female will stay with me for a lil longer.

Latest posts