• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why we use "mechanical moms" and ICU units!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Have any of u ever had an infertile sack??? If u need help identifying one I can always give advice at a good price
I have unfortunately had it a few times. :( Keep it until the female discards it and then open it up. Usually the eggs go black eventually. Not a nice thing to have. :(

entomology

3 Year Member
Yes we " candle" it and one can see the black infertile eggs inside it's similar to how u check bird eggs if fertile or not. Actually it's the same principal we apply there.

Jake (Cascade)

3 Year Member
I forgot I was a member of the forum. One needs to keep your nose in all aspects of the hobby! :D

I heard via the grape vine that you lost an egg sack that dried out due to your MM not working properly.

I sow the infertile sacks back up and give it back to mommy to eat it.

entomology

3 Year Member
So Jake as a moderator from a well known tarantula forum do u pay attention to the "gossip"as that's how it travels via the " grape vine"?

Jake (Cascade)

3 Year Member
Ok, I will have to ask the grape vine where they got there information from ;D and imofo then that they were wrong.
Don't worry I know when to block my nose when the smell gets really bad. :D

Eating an egg sack won't bring the female close to a molt but will give her some thing to feed on to help herself condition.

entomology

3 Year Member
I have this poor "taste"in my mouth that of a moderator who is supposed to be " neutral" not bias. To even mention that my mechanical mom was the cause of an infertile sack?? Very concerning I must say.

entomology

3 Year Member
Yes eating the sack will give her nutrients needed like a good meal. One meal closer to a molt as one would not mate again until next molt. Never go via the grape vine just ask directly that's always the best.

Jake (Cascade)

3 Year Member
My moderator stance on that tarantula forum has got nothing to do we me on this forum, I'm asking you as it was said that your MM gave you some headaches.

So please, on here I'm some guy who likes spiders

entomology

3 Year Member
Ok that's fine so I set the record straight . I had an infertile sack actually 2 one P metallica and other P smithi. So so not listen to gossip go directly to the source and ask that's what I suggest that way it would stop a massive " bull****" story getting a very loooong tail.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
I have this poor "taste"in my mouth that of a moderator who is supposed to be " neutral" not bias. To even mention that my mechanical mom was the cause of an infertile sack?? Very concerning I must say.

Just for interest sake, I have heard a few times that females that eat sacs that are 'off' sometimes seem to get 'sick' from it. Haven't experienced it with mine, but heard it a few times now. Suppose if the sac has started rotting it could actually be detrimental to the spiders health.

entomology

3 Year Member
I would also agree on that one. Although I dnt leave with mom I would think eating that " bad" sack could cause some discomfort for the female or make her unwell.

Jake (Cascade)

3 Year Member
And i have asked you directly, and you gave me the answer, But surely you have had some rethinks and mishaps and plenty testing to get to the success with MM, this is the information you should be sharing with us, as the people who would like to use or build MM need to learn from other mistakes and redo's.

We know breeding P. mats is a bit on the hard side and one has to have it correct or you lose slings one after each other?!

entomology

3 Year Member
Yes a mechanical mom must definitely be tested for sure I agree there, hence I have the thread up regarding the mechanical mom and even a breeding report on temperature and humidity. . The one flaw I made in the beginning was watching a YouTube vid from RobC was the fan in the incubator. It does not cause a @ tornado" effect, but does give incorrect readings and dries the sack out. I have had good success with the P metallica sacks and it is constant monitoring . I actually have another female spinning her hide close to drop a sack within the next few hrs!! I'll take a pic now and upload it so you can see. I am open for any advice on mechanical mom hence I started the thread to create a greater awareness on the subject .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts