• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why did my T die?

Sonorantree

3 Year Member
I'd like your input/thoughts on the first death of a T in my care.

I received this A geniculata on March 23 this year. She would not eat and then molted on April 19 (molt confirmed female). Her shed was 6.5" diagonal measurement. The previous owner said she would usually eat up until the week before a molt, and that she was eating dubias. She first accepted a medium size dubia on May 1. She ate adult male dubias May 6, 9 and 10. The next 2 times I offered food, she seemed interested but pulled back as soon as she touched the roach. I have offered food weekly, but for the last month, at least, she totally ignored the food. 56 days from her last feeding (last night) she slumped against the wall of her enclosure (Jamies adult size cage). We hoped she was going to molt, as she had not been eating for what seemed a long time! Her last molt was accomplished partly upright instead of upside down like normal, so we thought this was the same thing. I saw her legs that were up against the wall twitching a couple times. She never moved again. I flipped her onto her back during the night hoping that might help her molt (a no-no, but I thought it worth a try) but she is gone this morning.
I have Eco Earth bedding about 4" deep. A water dish which I overflow occasionally (lately been keeping it wetter hoping to encourage a molt). Cork bark hide (which she never used). Fake vine plants which she just walked over occasionally. Same setup with all my Ts.
Except for refusing food, she has been active and looking fine until now. Perhaps the last couple days she has been sitting more still, and curled up a little, but still moving from time to time. Her fangs both look good, and intact.
I want to learn from this. What do you think might have happened?
Anybody got a confirmed female A geniculata you want to sell? A small one would be fine, but I would like a female again.
Thank you!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm so sorry you lost her. Sadly, sometimes we will never know the cause of death as I know only too well having just lost my OBT in similar circumstances.

NatashaG

3 Year Member
I'm a little worried now after reading this, as I'm in the same situation with my T!
He is roughly about 4 inches and had recently molted over two months ago. He ate fine until 3 weeks ago (a cricket every week) but then he just didn't go near them. I now try to feed him every 4-5 days, and for a spilt second he is interested but then backs away, sometimes even running! This is my first tarantula, had him with me for over a year now and this behaviour is very odd for him. Reading your post has caused a bit of panic, as it sounds so similar!
Sorry for the loss of you T, and if you get any info on the cause I'd be very interested to read it!

Sonorantree

3 Year Member
Thank you for the condolences!
NatashaG, I think that 3 weeks isn't enough time gone by that you need to worry yet. The forums here seem to be in agreement that if they are hungry they will eat. Keep fresh water in their bowl and offer food every week. They will be ok and start eating eventually.
But, keep an eye on this thread and hopefully we can get an idea what went wrong with that plan in my case!
I hope you T starts eating again soon. BTW, what species and how long have you had him (is he a "him" for sure?)?

NatashaG

3 Year Member
Thank you for the condolences!
NatashaG, I think that 3 weeks isn't enough time gone by that you need to worry yet. The forums here seem to be in agreement that if they are hungry they will eat. Keep fresh water in their bowl and offer food every week. They will be ok and start eating eventually.
But, keep an eye on this thread and hopefully we can get an idea what went wrong with that plan in my case!
I hope you T starts eating again soon. BTW, what species and how long have you had him (is he a "him" for sure?)?
Yes, it will be very interesting to hear what happened to your T! Did she show any other signs of anything being wrong? I've heard little whispers of T's just not being hungry, would you say that this is more an adult T thing?
Thanks for the reply too :) That has (kind of) put my mind at rest :p I'm very fond of my little fella and would hate to think it is something I am doing or something I could help with in any way. I still try to feed him pretty regularly and he always has a full, clean water dish. Zoltan is my Brachypelma Smithi/Hamorii :) He is definitely a boy, looking at the moults and showing the pictures of them on here many people confirmed it for me. He is roughly 4 - 4.5 inches, I've not been close enough to get a good measurement as I don't handle him and his skins are always pretty trashed when he molts. I've had him with me for about a year and half now :) and it's safe to say I've grown rather attached :cool:
Thanks again for the reply!!

Sonorantree

3 Year Member
NatashaG, My T did nothing out of the ordinary, just wouldn't eat. I don't know of fasting is more prevalent in adults or not. I hope that one of the more experienced keepers will give their input - I'm just a newbie... since last September. I read your other post, hopefully you get some answers!

Nanchantress

3 Year Member
My adult Ts fast for months at a time. I stopped keeping track of when they last ate because it stressed me out if they didn't eat for a long time. Now I offer food irregularly... Sometimes a couple weeks apart, sometimes a month or 2 apart. For full grown adults with plump abdomens I don't worry as long as they have water.

Hard to lose a T friend, though, I know. Just don't worry about the fasting.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not sure on this one, it doesn't sound like there's much to go on. I've had a few die mysteriously as well, looking like perfectly healthy spiders. Not knowing why is very frustrating. Sorry for your loss.

Sonorantree

3 Year Member
I got another female Genic 9-19-2017. She molted 3 times, the last time May 26, but she never ate again. No signs that anything was wrong, just wasn't interested in food. About a week ago she went into her hide, which is unusual for her. I've been worried, and just now I squirted her with water to see if she'd move/come out and try some food - and she did not respond. I pulled her out gently by the legs and it appears she is dead. I've only lost two spiders, both Genics (which I really like!). How strange is that? I think I won't get another. :(

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got another female Genic 9-19-2017. She molted 3 times, the last time May 26, but she never ate again. No signs that anything was wrong, just wasn't interested in food. About a week ago she went into her hide, which is unusual for her. I've been worried, and just now I squirted her with water to see if she'd move/come out and try some food - and she did not respond. I pulled her out gently by the legs and it appears she is dead. I've only lost two spiders, both Genics (which I really like!). How strange is that? I think I won't get another. :(
Its just strange coincidence, Ive got two females that are trouble free. Its a great sp. , dont let this turn you off of them. You keep them dry or moist?

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Did you examine the T carefully at some point?

Were the fangs intact?

Please accept my condolences. Slings for A geniculata are widely available as are Lasiodora species.

Sonorantree

3 Year Member
Both from different people. The first was 6.5" DLS last molt, the second was maybe half that but grew great through 3 molts. Both were confirmed females.

I cleaned out the cage and body this morning. I looked at the fangs and they looked fine. Actually everything about her looked fine and I was kindof thinking she might start moving any minute, but no.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
What temperature are you keeping them at?
What substrate?
Tap water or well water in your area?

Obviously I am just guessing, but since they were fine, eating and molting, and then just died, I wonder if there is something toxic being introduced from somewhere, and perhaps A. geniculata is particularly sensitive to this toxin while other species tolerate it better for some reason? Any cleaners, outdoor pesticides, or other chemical fumes or residues possible?

Sonorantree

3 Year Member
What temperature are you keeping them at?
What substrate?
Tap water or well water in your area?

Obviously I am just guessing, but since they were fine, eating and molting, and then just died, I wonder if there is something toxic being introduced from somewhere, and perhaps A. geniculata is particularly sensitive to this toxin while other species tolerate it better for some reason? Any cleaners, outdoor pesticides, or other chemical fumes or residues possible?

Good thoughts! Room temps, so low 70's winter and up to mid-80's summer. Substrate is EcoEarth. Jamie's adult cage with cork bark hide and water dish. We are on well water here.

I have several native Aphonopelma, Brachypelma emilia, and a GBB - no problems with any of them.

I use dubia for food for everything, and though sometimes they act like they don't like the roaches, they have always eventually come around and started eating them. The Genics were both real pigs and would eat at least weekly unless they were pre-molt.

I suppose we use all the "regular" cleaners, etc, but we certainly don't spray anything around the cages. We spray monthly for scorpions outside, but not in the house. And my wife does that, so I'm not even ever handling the stuff.

I wonder if anybody else has had trouble with Genics - I thought they were pretty hardy...

Last edited:

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Good thoughts! Room temps, so low 70's winter and up to mid-80's summer. Substrate is EcoEarth. Jamie's adult cage with cork bark hide and water dish. We are on well water here.

I have several native Aphonopelma, Brachypelma emilia, and a GBB - no problems with any of them.

I use dubia for food for everything, and though sometimes they act like they don't like the roaches, they have always eventually come around and started eating them. The Genics were both real pigs and would eat at least weekly unless they were pre-molt.

I suppose we use all the "regular" cleaners, etc, but we certainly don't spray anything around the cages. We spray monthly for scorpions outside, but not in the house. And my wife does that, so I'm not even ever handling the stuff.

I wonder if anybody else has had trouble with Genics - I thought they were pretty hardy...
The species is new to me. I bought 3 slings a few weeks ago. One molted in transit and then died two days later. The other two have molted and doubled in size. This is why I'm reading your thread here with great interest and hoping to learn the cause of your misfortune. They have become one of my favorites because they are visible all the time, great eaters, and very attractive. Nothing I've read has referred to them being sensitive or less hardy than other common species.