• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Who really are we, behind T keepers ? :)

halcyon

3 Year Member
@misstque I know the feeling! I went back at 25 and despite how far I've come, I wish I had went back sooner. It's worth it though. All that studying will pay off. (I kind of look at it like this - the more I study, the better my grades. The better my grades, the better chances I have of graduating and passing state boards. The better my chances of passing state boards, the better my chances of getting a better job. Which means I can buy more geckos and Ts. :D )

misstque

3 Year Member
I feel ur pain @misstque . But i will tell u get it outta the way while u can. I just went back to college at the age of 32. and it is even worse. wish i wouldna done it when i was ur age.
I'm never giving up of my dream. nevaaaaaaah hahaha. But thanks anyways. I know the feeling, it's really hard and sometimesI just want to quit, but gotta chase the dream. Haha

misstque

3 Year Member
@misstque I know the feeling! I went back at 25 and despite how far I've come, I wish I had went back sooner. It's worth it though. All that studying will pay off. (I kind of look at it like this - the more I study, the better my grades. The better my grades, the better chances I have of graduating and passing state boards. The better my chances of passing state boards, the better my chances of getting a better job. Which means I can buy more geckos and Ts. :D )
You're really right! Gotta study hard in order to have a better job! The studying part is just the beginning, what really matters the most is how well you deal with life after college. Hahaha

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah u dont wanna being dealing with life during college. I can tell ya it makes it a lot tougher. i dont have much time for anything but working 2 jobs and going to school.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I thought about going back to school. Nope. Can't teach an old dog new tricks. Always hated classrooms anyway.
The only reason i did it was i had a full scholarship when i graduated high school. i didnt use it and regretted it. Where i work offered to pay my way through school all i had to do was buy books. they pay the rest at Penn State. Couldnt pass it up a second time.

Fleas

3 Year Member
The only reason i did it was i had a full scholarship when i graduated high school. i didnt use it and regretted it. Where i work offered to pay my way through school all i had to do was buy books. they pay the rest at Penn State. Couldnt pass it up a second time.
That's awesome man am happy for you I regret not finishing high school if I get a chance again am taking it but my two trades will have to get my through life witch is trash hauling and carpet/vinyl installing

TabithasMom

3 Year Member
I lead a pretty boring life, tbh. I live with my partner of almost 8 years, with a dog and a cat (along with several Ts). I've owned a plethora of animals throughout my lifetime (cats, dogs, rats, fish, scorpions, a cool mouse named Moose, horses, etc.), but the iron fist that is my partner has clamped me on the larger animals. I'm thankful he supports, and encourages, my ever-growing T collection, though. :D

Aside from that, I'm working a dead-end job that supports me through school. 18 years in the making, and I will finally graduate with my undergrad in December! I just recently welcomed a niece and a nephew to the world, and live vicariously through their parents' journey. Kids aren't an option in my life right now, so I will spoil those two as if they are my own. ;)

LauraS

3 Year Member
Ok, my turn. :) I'm 31. I got my first T two months ago and already have two with more to come, I'm sure, lol. My husband also has a G. Rosea which I could also claim as mine since I keep feeding/watering it.

For work, I'm IT support at a call center. I love reptiles and have kept snakes for ten years. In the past two years or so I have gotten into geckos (cresties and leos). I also have a cat...

In my down time I like to SCUBA dive in the lakes around here. I also read tons.

I guess that's about it. :)

eminart

3 Year Member
I work as a technical illustrator for military manuals, mostly helicopters. I just turned 39. I've been an avid pet keeper all my life. Growing up in rural Alabama, I was always surrounded by wildlife. Much to my mom's dismay, I developed a love of reptiles at a very early age. I've kept reptiles for over 30 years, with a couple of T's mixed in during that time. This past year I just really started to get into T's more. My 10 year old daughter really likes them as well, so we've been doing it together. We currently just have 6 T's, one of which is hidden on a top shelf and is a xmas gift for her.

My most time-consuming hobby is falconry/hawking, which is just a less effective way of hunting. I also do a little hunting in more modern ways, and fishing, camping, hiking, herping, and photography. I've been married for 11 years to a very understanding woman, who doesn't share my love of raptors/reptiles/tarantulas, but she tolerates it well. Here's an exchange we had this morning (I was just joking, of course).

T_zpsb4uskydo.png

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm a geek, literally. You could almost say nerd but i don't wear glasses and i'm sociable :) I work on the service desk as tech support for an engineering firm based out of Idaho, but we have almost 40 offices across the US now and one in South Africa. I get paid to do one of my hobbies, I love it! :) I'm also a gamer (Xbox One), and a netflix addict.

Like others guns are another hobby, i grew up hunting and shooting. I don't have many (yet) just a .308, .270, and British .303 for hunting rifles, a couple .22's (Ruger 10/22 I bought for my son and I, and an old Winchester model 60a i inherited when my grandpa passed back in 2004) and a S&W .357 revolver i got as my high school grad gift from my parents 20 some years ago :) I'll be getting a 20 gauge shotgun i was just told by my parents whenever my dad kicks the bucket, but that won't be for another 15 or 20 or so, at least we hope. Mid 60's now and in great health :)

I read a lot also, have to to get my brain to settle so i can sleep at night, otherwise i'm up all night thinking about what to do tomorrow and what i forgot today, when the little critters will finally molt, and on and on and on.

Love the outdoors, much more in summer than winter. I've never been big on winter sports, i'm not coordinated enough to ski and my knees punish me for days after trying. I once spent 8 hrs on the learning hill and when i sat down by the instructor and told him i was done he laughed and said most people as uncoordinated as I am don't usually last more than 3 or 4 hours. If i'm out playing in the winter it's on ATV's after a good snowstorm or snow mobiles.

Summer I golf, fly fish, play on the ATVs while camping or just to go for a ride, and enjoy many of the other local festivities going on here. One of my more recent loves is taking my jeep up in the mountains and exploring the old roads only those crazy people like me drive on. I've found a couple really cool old ghost towns that nobody remembers the name of doing that these last couple summers. Not much left in those but a foundation here and there or a couple collapsed small cabins. Guessing they're old mine settlements (can't really call a house or 2 a town) as that was the big settlement boom in this area way back in the mid/late 1800s.

My son is a lot like i am, probably why we butt heads so often :) he just turned 16 in October. I keep telling him he should join here to see all the great info but he'd rather just read and research that way.

bookac

3 Year Member
I'm a geek, literally. You could almost say nerd but i don't wear glasses and i'm sociable :) I work on the service desk as tech support for an engineering firm based out of Idaho, but we have almost 40 offices across the US now and one in South Africa. I get paid to do one of my hobbies, I love it! :) I'm also a gamer (Xbox One), and a netflix addict.

Like others guns are another hobby, i grew up hunting and shooting. I don't have many (yet) just a .308, .270, and British .303 for hunting rifles, a couple .22's (Ruger 10/22 I bought for my son and I, and an old Winchester model 60a i inherited when my grandpa passed back in 2004) and a S&W .357 revolver i got as my high school grad gift from my parents 20 some years ago :) I'll be getting a 20 gauge shotgun i was just told by my parents whenever my dad kicks the bucket, but that won't be for another 15 or 20 or so, at least we hope. Mid 60's now and in great health :)

I read a lot also, have to to get my brain to settle so i can sleep at night, otherwise i'm up all night thinking about what to do tomorrow and what i forgot today, when the little critters will finally molt, and on and on and on.

Love the outdoors, much more in summer than winter. I've never been big on winter sports, i'm not coordinated enough to ski and my knees punish me for days after trying. I once spent 8 hrs on the learning hill and when i sat down by the instructor and told him i was done he laughed and said most people as uncoordinated as I am don't usually last more than 3 or 4 hours. If i'm out playing in the winter it's on ATV's after a good snowstorm or snow mobiles.

Summer I golf, fly fish, play on the ATVs while camping or just to go for a ride, and enjoy many of the other local festivities going on here. One of my more recent loves is taking my jeep up in the mountains and exploring the old roads only those crazy people like me drive on. I've found a couple really cool old ghost towns that nobody remembers the name of doing that these last couple summers. Not much left in those but a foundation here and there or a couple collapsed small cabins. Guessing they're old mine settlements (can't really call a house or 2 a town) as that was the big settlement boom in this area way back in the mid/late 1800s.

My son is a lot like i am, probably why we butt heads so often :) he just turned 16 in October. I keep telling him he should join here to see all the great info but he'd rather just read and research that way.

I love to camp aswell, over the summer i am trying to fil my free time doing backpack camping :) Over the winters i am trying to learn to snowboard, its going to be my second seasson :). I am gamer aswell, i play mostly PC games, and xbox 360.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love to camp aswell, over the summer i am trying to fil my free time doing backpack camping :) Over the winters i am trying to learn to snowboard, its going to be my second seasson :). I am gamer aswell, i play mostly PC games, and xbox 360.
Nice! i never tried snowboarding. I have friends that do both and with my knees they tell me no, stay off the board lol. I forgot to mention my little dog Tigger:) tiny guy with a big dog attitude. He's a Morkie, a cross between a Maltese and a Yorkshire. He's maybe a foot long from nose to tail, probably 6 inches or so at the shoulder tall, and maybe all of 5 lbs. Of all the dogs i've had growing up and on my own he's the smartest little guy with the best personality. He will sit while we're eating and "argue" with my son. He'll whine and my son will tell him no, and then it goes back and forth. It's hillarious. He's just like having another little kid too, and likes to play pranks on us and tease us. And he's smart! He knows the word Pizza, and he's the only dog i've ever seen that recognizes tv shows. If Dr. Jeff the vet show on animal planet comes on he'll run down to the couch so he can bark at the animals. Or if he hears the narrator on Mountain Men he does the same thing lol.

Here's one of him after a long day of playing.
tigger2.jpg

He uses the webkinz stuff animals as toys more than any other "dog toy" i've gotten him, but here's another one of him with his favorite dog toy. A stuffed zebra being used as a pillow waiting while i finish taking his pic to throw it for him.
Tigger1.jpg

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
I have a husband and two young kids. Thankfully they enjoy my tarantulas. My friend on my 17th birthday gave me a tarantula. (Many years ago, I am 37 now) I had snakes before, breeding corn snakes, built an enclosure for my ball python, bred my mice for food, and caught any wild snake or animal I came across. Currently I have 3 tarantula's, a bearded dragon, a ten gallon of mealworms for food, a crayfish, a goldfish, two minions (awesome typo! I meant minnows), a tank of snails that had babies (the kids wanted, I wanted the adults to stop eating my tomato plant), and two cats.

I love to read, watch movies, listen to music, and am into any art, mostly photography. I enjoy being outside, hiking, camping, nature, and travel.

Latest posts