• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

who has been bitten?

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
just out of curiosity who of you guys/gals have been bitten? by what species? and the story to go with it... lol oh yeah and how bad did it suck???

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i was bitten by an avic avic. i got bitten by a wolf spider once too. the wolf spiders bite was worse for longevity. the avic avic hurt for about a minute and then was nothing. but thats all i have been bitten by......so far.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
GBB bit my son the day he got it. But it was small enough he said it didn't bother him at all. He was unpacking it from the shipping bottle and it ran out on his hand and down his ring finger, wrapped it's legs around him and bit. He was laughing the whole time "lookit hte little guy! thinks he's so tough!" lol

We were feeding the GBB Wednesday night and he struck at the tweezers my son was using to tap the roach in the web to get Marley's attention. Don't think my son will be handling till we see what his attitude is after he molts again.

micheldied

3 Year Member
I've been bitten by a G. rosea, of all things. They're really not a good beginner species.

I've also been bitten by Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans several times, and an S. hardwickei pling.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've been bitten by a G. rosea, of all things. They're really not a good beginner species.

I've also been bitten by Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans several times, and an S. hardwickei pling.
Not a good beginners species for those looking to handle. I don't feel that makes them a poor choice for beginners either. As I've said in the past, you can do so much better with other species (ie. Brachypelma).

micheldied

3 Year Member
Not a good beginners species for those looking to handle. I don't feel that makes them a poor choice for beginners either. As I've said in the past, you can do so much better with other species (ie. Brachypelma).

T'was a joke. Honestly I don't like to define species as "beginner" or "advanced".

micheldied

3 Year Member
So the scolopendra bite..how was that? I heard they can put a hurtin on you.

The S. mutilans really aren't bad. From what I've heard, the other S. subspinipes have really painful bites, but the S. mutilans bites were like ant bites. As for the S. hardwickei, I've heard they can be really bad too, but I was bitten by a 1.5 inch pling so it again was like an ant bite. I do have considerable pain tolerance, so that may have altered my perception of how bad they were.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got bitten by a Harvestman (Phalangium opilio) when I was in Primary (Elementary) School. We had an outdoor lesson and one crawled up my teacher's chair, she freaked, I grabbed the insect and it bit. Didn't hurt much or left any mark, but I definitely felt it.
Not really a bite, but a farm we went on holiday to as a child a couple of times, had a pair of German Shepherds. One year they had a litter and when I went to see the pups, one of them jumped up at my backside and latched onto my trousers. My mum and sister couldn't stop laughing when they saw my 5 year old self running around in circles with a 10 week old puppy hanging off her "derriere", having the time of its life, lol. I guess, that was when I discovered my favourite dog breed...
I also got bitten by my own German Shepherd. A yellow Labrador went for him and I had to just jump in between the second mine tried to snap back at him and my thigh got caught in the action. It didn't pierce the skin, but I had a deep dark purple bruise for weeks after. It made me appreciate how much damage a proper bite could have done. My dog felt suitably guilty though, lol.
Recently, my current batch of feeder crickets seems to be a bunch of tw@tbadgers: Every single time I get one out they manage to bite me and it hurts. I feel great satisfaction when the Ts catch them, evil little b.....!
My older sister seems to be the unlucky one when it comes to animal bites, though. She got bit by a huge house spider (Tegenaria sp.) in her sleep. It was on her arm and she must have accidentally swiped at it. She seems to be allergic, because it left quite a red spot.
She also got bitten in the back, by a large dog, which was tied up next to a caravan at a carnival. Times must have changed, because instead of suing the owners and demand the animal to be destroyed like many people do these days, my sister and her friends got into trouble for taking a short cut through other people's "houses", lol.
She's also had several hornet stings. I'm always happy so see one because they've become so rare and she's there getting stung by them, lol.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
just out of curiosity who of you guys/gals have been bitten? by what species? and the story to go with it... lol oh yeah and how bad did it suck???
Believe it or not. Only spider bite despite keeping Ts for 20 years was from a large garden spider that had taken up residence inside my gardening gloves.....unbeknown to me....lol. sharp stab only, thought it was a rose thorn until gloves came off and out it ran out. Sorry for not being more interesting than that.....lol

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Believe it or not. Only spider bite despite keeping Ts for 20 years was from a large garden spider that had taken up residence inside my gardening gloves.....unbeknown to me....lol. sharp stab only, thought it was a rose thorn until gloves came off and out it ran out. Sorry for not being more interesting than that.....lol

I hope i'm that lucky. So far my only bite is while sleeping from house spiders in the summer times :) knock on wood, toss salt, etc lol

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The S. mutilans really aren't bad. From what I've heard, the other S. subspinipes have really painful bites, but the S. mutilans bites were like ant bites. As for the S. hardwickei, I've heard they can be really bad too, but I was bitten by a 1.5 inch pling so it again was like an ant bite. I do have considerable pain tolerance, so that may have altered my perception of how bad they were.
That first time, I though it is a typo. But the second time, I believed you are calling your spiderlings plings. :D :D :D

Adraps11

3 Year Member
I was bitten over my right tricep, by a male brown recluse. I found his smashed body in my bed sheets. The necrosis ate a hole straight down to the muscle, and it was like a huge cavern under the main bite, when the doctor would swab out the resulting gunk, made by the Mrsa Staph Infection. I almost lost my arm. Nowadays I have a shotgun blast-like indention on my arm, and the tissue that was underneath the bite area grew back abnormally, forming benign tumor-like shapes. I've made a cool drawing of the recluse, sitting on my arm and the venom eating skin away. It'd make for an awesome tattoo. That all happened back in the summer of 2011 and cost an assload to treat! Nowadays I get patches of skin that will flare up, and look like the original bite for awhile, after a few weeks to a month or so, they will go away. The initial 103 degree fever and chills, on the night of the bite were crazy!

Latest posts