• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which Ts are next on your list?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's a while since we had a thread on this subject so what is everyone planning to get it the next few months?

I'll start with the Ts I've reserved for the beginning of next month:-
Pterinochilus murinus Usambara
Augacephalus ezendami
Stichoplastoris asterix
Ephebopus rufescens
Psalmopoeus pulcher
Selenocosmia javanensis

yeahhtrue

3 Year Member
There are a few that I have in mind, but I look forward to seeing suggestions from other people. Currently I just have a G. rosea, C. versicolor, and Euathlus sp red, all slings. One of these three will probably be my next purchase...

Davus pentaloris
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
Grammostola pulchra

jackys

3 Year Member
Well I only have two now, so the possibilities are endless :) But I guess I'd prioritize species that are not too much of a difficulty leap, while also being different enough in either appearance or "personality." For now, I'd like to stay away from anything that has to be kept at high humidity or high temperature.

So I think I'd look for one of these next:
  • C. cyaneopubescens - so pretty and it's really cool that they web so much
  • A. chalcodes - easy to keep but not black, brown, or orange
  • L. parahybana - I like the idea of a really big T
  • C. versicolor - heard they are a good beginner arboreal
Any recommendations for someone who's only kept G. porteri/rosea and B. hamorii?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sadly none for a long while :( Money is tight and i'm out of room. I have to wait for ones i have to mature and pass on before i can get more.

So in a few years, unless something bad happens and there's an early death, i want another A. sp Peru Purple and whatever they've renamed the A. purpurea to :)

Well I only have two now, so the possibilities are endless :) But I guess I'd prioritize species that are not too much of a difficulty leap, while also being different enough in either appearance or "personality." For now, I'd like to stay away from anything that has to be kept at high humidity or high temperature.

So I think I'd look for one of these next:
  • C. cyaneopubescens - so pretty and it's really cool that they web so much
  • A. chalcodes - easy to keep but not black, brown, or orange
  • L. parahybana - I like the idea of a really big T
  • C. versicolor - heard they are a good beginner arboreal
Any recommendations for someone who's only kept G. porteri/rosea and B. hamorii?
the LP is easy, basically the same keep as those you have, same with the chalcodes. Chalcodes are lazy though, and slow, they'll wait for prey to come to them, then decide for a few minutes if they want to spend the energy to catch it ;)

You can't have a T collection without a C. cyanopubescens though, or an A. geniculata.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It won't be for a while, but here is my list:

G. pulchra
B. klaasi
C. marshalli
C. darlingi
P. lugardi
M. balfouri
B. auratum
B. hamorii
P. Sp. green
B. albiceps
A. hentzi
A. eutylenum

Species I will probably never be able to obtain unless a miracle happens:

A. moderatum
P. auratus
A. marxi

jackys

3 Year Member
Sadly none for a long while :( Money is tight and i'm out of room. I have to wait for ones i have to mature and pass on before i can get more.

So in a few years, unless something bad happens and there's an early death, i want another A. sp Peru Purple and whatever they've renamed the A. purpurea to :)

the LP is easy, basically the same keep as those you have, same with the chalcodes. Chalcodes are lazy though, and slow, they'll wait for prey to come to them, then decide for a few minutes if they want to spend the energy to catch it ;)

You can't have a T collection without a C. cyanopubescens though, or an A. geniculata.

A. geniculata wasn't even on my radar, but they are beautiful! Hmm I guess the list just got a little longer...

Had to look up A. sp Peru Purple and A. purpurea and they are gorgeous. Too bad you don't have the room for them yet :(

A friend of mine just ordered a 1"-1.5" C. cyaneopubescens, 1"-1.5" E. campestratus, and an adult A. chalcodes as her first ever T's, so I'll get to hear what they're like for a beginner first-hand. She's about to go from 0 to 3 T's overnight, which I thought was kind of funny because I remember how hard it was to talk myself down from "hmmmm how do I decide, MAYBE I'LL JUST GET THEM ALL RIGHT NOW."

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you like A. geniculata have a look at Nhandu chromatus, they look similar but in my opinion they are more active.
DIdn't think of Nhandu's :) i have the coloratvilosus, he's kind of a spaz, really curious one day, then the next time you're going to feed or do maintenance he's flipped 2 Face's coin and throws a threat pose or kicks hair.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
DIdn't think of Nhandu's :) i have the coloratvilosus, he's kind of a spaz, really curious one day, then the next time you're going to feed or do maintenance he's flipped 2 Face's coin and throws a threat pose or kicks hair.

I have 2 chromatus same age, and one has always been quite calm but the other always ran in circles if I disturbed it although it has mellowed a little. I've never had a threat pose though.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
There are so many but have a few that I will be adding as soon as I can get my hands on them.

-Eurcratosclus Pachypus
-Eupalaestrus Campestratus
-Ephpebopus Cyanognathus
-Idiothele Mira
-Orphnaecus Philippinus
-Psalmopoeus Irminias
-Psalmopoeus Cambridgei

These are the next I will be adding soon, I've found a few online but waiting for the show in august to see if I can get a better deal before I break down and buy em online.

jackys

3 Year Member
I just saw an A. geniculata for sale yesterday and started itching to expand my collection again :rolleyes: Enn already said N. chromatus seems more active, but for those who have A. geniculata and N. chromatus, how do the two species compare in terms of aggression/defensiveness? I've seen some videos of of A. geniculata in particular running up tongs and such, so I'm wondering if either would be "too much" for a new keeper like myself.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've had 3 N. chromatus from tiny slings and they have all tended to run and hide when disturbed rather than attempt escape or threaten me. The 2 larger ones now will stay out in the open whereas if I so much as touch the smaller one's container it vanishes under its hide.

The A. geniculate I bought as a juvenile so I have no experience of them as slings but she is very calm.

Both species are greedy feeders.

I bought the A. genic because everyone said they were a must-have but if I'm honest I think I prefer the N. chromatus simply because they are so much more active. The genic will sit in one spot for hours, sometimes days whereas the chromatus are happy to wander around and clamber over stuff.

A. geniculate
DSCF9540 (2).JPG

N. Chromatus
DSCF0808.JPG

jackys

3 Year Member
Hmm sounds like both would be cool... A more active T would be a nice change of pace, but I appreciate just sitting there looking pretty too.

I just don't want anything that'll get super territorial or teleport up the tongs while I'm doing cage maintenance, lol. I think I can handle an enthusiastic feeding response and a bit of defensiveness or skittishness, as I'm already very cautious and never get too close.

The A. genic I saw was bigger, 4-5". I have yet to see an N. chromatus for sale but it's definitely on my radar. Just gotta see if I can persuade the husband that we totally need more spiders >_>

EDIT: those are some lovely T's you have BTW!!!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well, my order that I began this thread with has been delayed until the end of August due to holidays so, having got all excited as their expected arrival drew near and then the disappointment of another 3 week wait, I've ordered these 3 which hopefully will arrive at the end of next week.
Pterinochilus chordatus
Grammostola pulchripes
Catumiri argentinense
The1st 2 I've just never got round to buying and the 3rd is another dwarf to add to my bunch of wee ones.

jackys

3 Year Member
Well, my order that I began this thread with has been delayed until the end of August due to holidays so, having got all excited as their expected arrival drew near and then the disappointment of another 3 week wait, I've ordered these 3 which hopefully will arrive at the end of next week.
Pterinochilus chordatus
Grammostola pulchripes
Catumiri argentinense
The1st 2 I've just never got round to buying and the 3rd is another dwarf to add to my bunch of wee ones.

3 week delay = oof! And to think I was getting stressed over a 2-day shipping delay when I placed my last order... :eek:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
3 week delay = oof! And to think I was getting stressed over a 2-day shipping delay when I placed my last order... :eek:

It was bad timing. I was waiting for money to into my account so I could pay him then at the last moment he'd booked this holiday.