• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which rodents can Grammostola pulchripes eat?

Can I feed my tarantula a dwarf hamster?

• Total voters

Alexander White

3 Year Member
I have a male Grammostila pulchripes (Swixter), he's about the size of my palm. Which rodents are you able to feed a male of this species and size? Would it be best to stick to pinkies? Or could I feed him a dwarf hamster? Would it be risky to feed him a dwarf hamster do to their sharp teeth? Or do tarantulas have no problem with this?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a male Grammostila pulchripes (Swixter), he's about the size of my palm. Which rodents are you able to feed a male of this species and size? Would it be best to stick to pinkies? Or could I feed him a dwarf hamster? Would it be risky to feed him a dwarf hamster do to their sharp teeth? Or do tarantulas have no problem with this?
If risk is a consideration for you, yes, feeding your tarantula any vertebrates with teeth and claws is riskier than crickets/roaches. In answer to your original question, yes, you can feed a mature pulchripes a dwarf hamster, and it will eat it, if its hungry. Seems a bit unnecessary though..

Alexander White

3 Year Member
If risk is a consideration for you, yes, feeding your tarantula any vertebrates with teeth and claws is riskier than crickets/roaches. In answer to your original question, yes, you can feed a mature pulchripes a dwarf hamster, and it will eat it, if its hungry. Seems a bit unnecessary though..

Oh okay, thank you for the information!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Another downside is the smell.
And dwarf hamsters are actually pretty cute. I only feed waxworms, mealworms, crickets or locusts. That is more than enough variety and fulfills all their needs so I would steer away from rodents if any type tbh but at he end of the day, personal choice I suppose.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
sounds like he saw the youtube video of the genic eating the white mouse and wants his T to do the same ;)

I'm in with the rest. Bad idea.

Any prey other than maybe roaches has the ability to harm your spider. Crickets and worms have been known to eat slings. Mice, hamsters, lizards etc will fight back with teeth and claws and could easily deal a fatal wound to the T.

Like @Phil said, it's your choice, and could very well be your loss.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I personally would never feed a mammal,
I have a hard time feeding with frozen ones,
Probably why I dont keep snakes as much as I love them,
(although I almost came home with a baby Reverse-Stripe California King Snake the other day,
GORGEOUS, wanted it bad
held it for about twenty minutes, )

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Funny thing is, many years ago I bred both mice and domestic hooded rats on a large scale....
I might have bought it if I had the funds, have zero set ups for snakes.

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mice stink too High Heaven , they P over everything, I bred them for a short while for my reptiles, trust me just 10 mins of having 1 mouse In you`re house.
you will soon know about it, well your Nose will. over powering smell of urine.
I raised mice and rats as pets for a few years after high school. One of the girls i was with had an albino boa and she gave me a few of the pinkies to raise. I don't recall them stinking. I think i had them for about a year, give or take, i gave them to a friend after my current girl at the time said me or the rodents.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I personally would never feed a mammal,
I have a hard time feeding with frozen ones,
Probably why I dont keep snakes as much as I love them,
(although I almost came home with a baby Reverse-Stripe California King Snake the other day,
GORGEOUS, wanted it bad
held it for about twenty minutes, )
My LPS just got in two corns and a black snake with a broken yellow stripe. She says its a baby king. I kind of want it, but it doesn't have a stinger and claws :( Cool looking snake though. She also said her scorpions were red claws sold to her as emperor scorpions, but I identified them as Heterometrus sp. So it may be a cobra, instead of a king snake..

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I will answer your question with a question....Why do you want to feed a rodent to your tarantula?

Alexander White

3 Year Member
I thought a lot of people fed their tarantulas rodents, I thought it was a common thing. Lol. I guess not. I'll stick to roaches in that case, just to be on the safe side. I wouldn't want any harm coming to my Swixter!

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
rodents can and do fight back before the venom fully paralyzes them, they are smarter that your typical ****roach or cricket. I vote no due the higher risk of the tarantula receiving a nasty bite from one.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I raised mice and rats as pets for a few years after high school. One of the girls i was with had an albino boa and she gave me a few of the pinkies to raise. I don't recall them stinking. I think i had them for about a year, give or take, i gave them to a friend after my current girl at the time said me or the rodents.
Be honest......was it a good idea to ditch the rodents? :p I suspect the "current" means may not have been worthwhile.......lol

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Be honest......was it a good idea to ditch the rodents? :p I suspect the "current" means may not have been worthwhile.......lol
well back then i was young and dumb and thought getting some tail was all it was about. so back then yes, it was definitely worth getting rid of the rodents, as the current at that time was pretty wild ;)

Latest posts