• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Where to buy vials/flip-top tubes?

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
I've got some wolf spider slings that I'm trying to raise up. I'm probably going to let them go once they're mature, but I'd like to eventually breed some of my T's so I want the practice.
My question is where do you buy the little flip-top tubes that I've seen people use to separate out individual spiders? Are they hiding somewhere at WalMart and I just haven't seen them?

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not 100% sure since I have not ever bought them but when looking for scientific supplies, I usually can find what I want from Carolina. A bit pricey but may be a good start?

http://www.carolina.com/

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
Yeah, I was hoping there'd be somewhere less pricey. Since they're just wolfies I'm not really wanting to spend much to raise them up.

Ha... Every time I see Carolina, I think of this time I met one of their reps at a conference and he said they had to stop paying people to bring them cats for dissection because so many people were stealing their neighbors' cats.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol. I just heard on a documentary that Europe now has more people with reptiles than cats or dogs. They also said that spiders will soon eclipse them as well!

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
If you go to a resturant supply store you can pick up condiment cups with lids. Its only a couple bucks for a sleeve of 100, and you can make vent holes around the sides so you can stack them. They work great for small slings.

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
Thanks for the advice; the deli cups look about right for what I'm doing right now (the wolf spiders grow fast!). For some reason the site stopped updating me on when ppl posted to this thread.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Really great stuff! Thanks for sharing. Not big on the fruit flies but if I were I really like the container designs here.

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
Speaking of fruit flies; the ventilation I put in condiment cups that I'm using as interim sling containers (the female's second eggsac just hatched so I needed to clear out my sling-proof cup for the next batch) seems to let fruitflies in but not out. I hardly even need to feed them anymore and they're growing twice as fast as they did on cricket bits. It's great.

privatetillery

3 Year Member
yea I just went to Big Lots and they had plastic dressing sauce cups, 8 for a $1. You can't beat it, my new slings seem to like them.

Latest posts