• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When is the best time to rehome?

Specs

3 Year Member
I want to make some needed upgrades to my avic. avic.'s tank. I think she is in pre-molt..I have not had her that long and she is my first T. So excuse the newby Q's..but when would be the best time to put her in a temp. Tank and upgrade her home? Before or after she molts. That is if she is in pre-molt. Anybody have any sage advice for this newby??

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If she is in pre-moult then I'd leave her until after she's moulted and hardened up again. If you can post some pictures, I'm sure someone will be able to tell if it is pre-moult or not.

Specs

3 Year Member
If she is in pre-moult then I'd leave her until after she's moulted and hardened up again. If you can post some pictures, I'm sure someone will be able to tell if it is pre-moult or not.
I will post some today. She has not come out of her web for 4 days

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24

Specs

3 Year Member
Also what is the best way to clean a store brought plant to make it safe for her.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sorry, I can't tell from that photo. Plastic or silk plants can be washed in hot soapy water but rinse thoroughly in clean hot water afterwards.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
In that case I'm afraid I can't help. I've never used real plants as I always worried about bugs on them.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think @Enn49 advice is spot on. If yu are in any doubt and think in pre moult, wait until the moulting process is over and I would also make sure had at least one feed. Avics can be a bit jumpy and an injury from a fall would be a horrible thing to happen. I have never used live plants. Always used plastic that have been washed as they are much more sterile and safe like Enn says. Do you know he moult pattern? If you keep notes, you may be able to predict when due a moult if still unsure. Has it stopped eating? If it has, that could be an indicator too. I did look at the pics but tbh I am no expert. Sorry.

Specs

3 Year Member
Thanks Phil, she has stayed in her funnel for over a week. I waited a week to feed her again and she did not eat. I think she has come out of her funnel because it looked like she had pooped in her water dish. Not 100% but the was white stuff floating in there. I guess I will try and feed her again the early part of next week and see how it goes. Her abdomen still looks fairly plump so I think she is at not risk of being dehydrated. Her humidity sits between the 60-70% range and room is also in the 70's. So I guess I just have to hurry up and wait.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just keep her water dish clean, she feels secure and safe in her little funnel. if she's out its probably when it's dark and quiet. Get a red flashlight and take a quick peek late at night. :)

Mera Mera no Mi

3 Year Member
Just keep her water dish clean, she feels secure and safe in her little funnel. if she's out its probably when it's dark and quiet. Get a red flashlight and take a quick peek late at night. :)

I never thought of the red flashlight, and whats killing me is there is one in this house somewhere.... /slaps forehead

Specs

3 Year Member
Ok guys..She just tore up a large cricket. She seems to be a bit more active but she does not come out of her tunnel web when I'm around. I know she must because she paints the walls like avics. Are famous for. So what do you think guys should I go for after she has had a day or two to digest her cricket?

Latest posts