• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What's your favorite T?

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi everyone!

I am new member, and though I have always loved inverts, I have never had a T. While I did keep a friend's Rosehair for over a year (and she was a typical Rosehair...very little moving and probably only ate 6-8 times the ENTIRE time I kept her) I have never had an opportunity to keep one for myself til now.

I have done tons of research and have decided I am going to start with 2-3 spiderlings. I haven't exactly decided on which species yet as I keep getting criticism for not picking typical "beginner" species. I am not new to animal husbandry, nor to keeping exotics. I am not planning on handling my T's unless I have to (they don't exactly like being cuddled, you know?).

Anyway, I am looking at OBT's, Brazilian Red and White's, Mexican Fire Legs, Mexican Red Knees, and Brazilian Blacks to begin with.

Have any of you kept these guys? What do you think?

And what are your favorites?

~Dal

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm rubbish with common names so I have no idea what the Brazilian red and white is ( N. chromatus perhaps?) but the others are all excellent species. The OBTs are fast and rather bitey but seeing as you are not planning on handling them and you are after a sling then they won't pose too much of a problem. The Brachys are only likely to be a problem if you have a bad reaction to the urticating hairs as they are quite fond of kicking them at the slightest disturbance and the G. pulchra are stunning to look at and are usually well behaved.

My favourite is either Phlogiellus sp. Koh Samui (formerly Yamia) or Harpactira sp. Robertson

Phlogiellus sp. Koh Samui
DSCF0051.jpg

Harpactira sp. Robertson
DSCF4123copy.jpg

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
all the Ts you mentioned are great choices. It all depends on what you want.
If you want some cool webbing and a brightly colored T OBT are awesome, If you want a big beauticul display T (never hides) with attitude, N.Chromatus is a great choice, If you want a mellow, stocky beautiful T, Brachys and Gramastola are the way to go. (they grow super slow though)

My personal favorite is the King Baboon.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It seems I want a little of everything! :) I can so see this becoming an addictive hobby. I am having a terrible time choosing which ones I want to start with.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It seems I want a little of everything! :) I can so see this becoming an addictive hobby. I am having a terrible time choosing which ones I want to start with.

Personally I would go with something slower and more mellow for your 1st T. Chaco Golden Knees are great. They're very tolerant of being handled, kick less than other new world species, get huge, and are very attractive. Scientific name; Grammostola Pulchripes.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have looked at those guys too. I do like the idea of them, but I do not plan on handling any of them unless necessary.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have looked at those guys too. I do like the idea of them, but I do not plan on handling any of them unless necessary.
I think that's a great way to approach this. I treat mine more or less like fish. but a large bodied slow moving non agressive T is a good introduction to the hobby.Gets you used to their body language and movements before moving on to more erradic Ts.

Dubia are great! I feed my clan Dubia almost exclussively, my guys are currently on crickets though, as my Dubia Colony has gotten a bit thin.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I feel fairly confident in my ability to read an invert. I have studied arachnids in the field, both academically and for fun. It isn't unusual to see me out in the middle of the woods hunched over a log watching a "critter" for hours.

But I am cautious, almost to a fault. And though I do not wish to get bitten I look at it pretty much the same as with the parrots we keep: If I get bitten I misread the critter and that's what happens. It was my fault, not his.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have kept t's for many years now. Im not really into aggressive temperamental spiders though I have been given bad tempered ones by people who could not keep them. my favourites are Chile rose for intelligence (mine seem to work things out quicker than my others.) my first t was a Chile rose so I am loyal to them. for stunning good looks I would choose brachypelma smith they are stunning and generally nice natured. I recommend a geniculata for beauty and large appetite so if like me you enjoy watching them eat they are perfect. avicularia avicularia are my favourite for cute looks i can't imagine anything cute but it is just my opinion.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A smithi is definitely on my list. I am looking to start with a variety of slings with different needs and personalities. I want to stick with terrestrial ones for now, but the Avi's are top of my list when I venture into aboreals.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have only recently started keeping avics I have wanted them for years now(I saw a documentary where there were some swimming along the amazon and I wanted one since it was fascinating they are gorgeous) I think b smithis are one of the most beautiful things on the planet. genius are stunning looking as well and I've owned quite a few and they have all been nice natured but greedy.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had a Mexican fire leg ages ago she was gorgeous but my friend had one that flicked hair a lot

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've heard that a lot of the New World T's do that. I don't really plan on handling them much so I am hoping to minimize exposure to the hairs. So far I think I will be ordering B. smithi, B. vagans (my hubby wants this one), N. Chomatus, and P. murinus. I am ordering Monday, so I am trying to make my final decisions.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
good luck I hope you get what you want. I don't handle mine except delilah who prefers to sit on my lap then be in her Tank and money spider likes walking on my finger. my fire leg was fine but my friends one used to flick hair just because she took the lid off to feed her.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Flicking hair comes with the territory with some I suppose...hopefully I can minimize the amount of threat they feel and keep the itchiness to a minimum

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
is a seemani Costa Rican zebra.? I had one years ago she was rescued had a superb nature and really pretty I gave her to someone to breed from I give lots away to breeders but might attempt to breed some myself one day.

Latest posts