• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Whats a good way to set up an enclosure for a Mexican Red Rump ( Brachypelma Vagans ) adult

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
With mass on this one. every sling ive had aside from my OBT hid for like 2 or 3 molts before they started showing themselves.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
With mass on this one. every sling ive had aside from my OBT hid for like 2 or 3 molts before they started showing themselves.
yep all of mine have hid until they were 1-1.5" dls. seems at that size they're brave enough to face the world.

Milimamma

i used to use just coco-fiber but it dries out too fast and turns hard as a brick. We did this with the 2nd T we got last fall. Once Koby my son's B. boehmei molted we rehoused him, took that square brick out and my son entertained himself counting how many times he could drop it off the 2nd floor balcony before it totally shattered. didn't take very many but I was wondering if he'd give up from running up and down the stairs before the brick gave up ;)

Now that i mix potting soil in, the substrate stays moist for hte burrowing slings for like ever. I rarely have to remoisten the substrate.
Hi I’m Lisa. I have a brachy & your formula for coco-fiber & potting soil sounds perfect for her. What ratio seems to work best? For example, 50/50 or 1 part soil to 2 parts coco fiber works for you. I need it to hold moisture well.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use coco fibre for every species (I have nearly 200 Ts) as it is light, inert, ph balanced and can be kept dry or damp with ease. I do not use top soil at all.
B vagans do not need a lot of humidity. Just an open water dish and an occasional misting (once a week) is all that's needed. :)

Latest posts