• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What to do when you have a T bite?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Imagine writhing around on the couch for an hr while old world venom burns its way up your arm, with no choice but to wait it out. I bet most people who get bitten once, never let it happen again:D There are some seriously funny bite reports on the other forum..:D

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Your biggest worry about being bit by an OBT is that you throw yourself out the upstairs window to end the pain lol! I've posted this here before but here lol
I read about someone bitten by a Gooty on AB I think and he used a cable tie round his finger as tight as he could take and hot water as hot as he could bare... No real side effects apparently.... He said he squeezed the bite straight away and clear fluid came out so not dry...
clear fluid could have been plasma. guy is an idiot lol, worst thing you can do for a bite is tie it off, makes your body work harder to get blood to that area, making the venom spread faster if you didn't tie it off in time. Hot water increases blood flow, use cool compress or cool water instead, not cold. that will help shrink the blood vessels and slow down blood flow and the spread of venom. Squeezing it won't do much, you're just getting surface tissue fluid that way, you'd need suction to really help remove the venom.

Unless treating a T bite is different than a snake bite.

Arachnes' Acolyte

3 Year Member
Imagine writhing around on the couch for an hr while old world venom burns its way up your arm, with no choice but to wait it out. I bet most people who get bitten once, never let it happen again:D There are some seriously funny bite reports on the other forum..:D

Lol, I have no problem with pain...been snake bit by some of the nastiest, stung, tattoos on my eyelids....even stabbed! But, when my H. maculata(TOGO Starburst) got me in the finger...**** got real! 3hours of intense pain...wishing I would just pass out...it certainly isn't funny at the time but.....I think back and laugh now. A grown ass tattooed man clutching his hand turning five shades of red and sweating balls cussing a little T out lol....ahhhh good times.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol, I have no problem with pain...been snake bit by some of the nastiest, stung, tattoos on my eyelids....even stabbed! But, when my H. maculata(TOGO Starburst) got me in the finger...**** got real! 3hours of intense pain...wishing I would just pass out...it certainly isn't funny at the time but.....I think back and laugh now. A grown ass tattooed man clutching his hand turning five shades of red and sweating balls cussing a little T out lol....ahhhh good times.
Lmao ...I know it will happen to me eventually, I drink too much..

Arachnes' Acolyte

3 Year Member
Lmao ...I know it will happen to me eventually, I drink too much..

Good chance lol, everybody needs to get tagged at least once...it serves as a humbling reminder of why they deserve the respect they do. Dealing with them everyday...it's easy to get complacent lol. I was trying to show my buddy how to feed them because he was interested but all I had was crickets on hand. He accidently dropped one too close to it.....lol....needless to say it flipped out and got me. At least it wasn't him lol. Lesson learned....the pain will be remembered lol.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wonder about animal fatalities. Yes, your pokie, obt new world whatever won't kill you if you're human, but say your cat knocks over your old world cage and the prey drive kicks in.

Now what? Can vets treat this?

I have an ex feral cat which is why I'm wondering about it. Still, but of mine are new world which means that scenario is unlikely.

In my previous apartment, my cat would single handily knock out every roach that got in. One day after a rainstorm, she nailed a centipede that was in the place crawling up the bed. My girlfriend saw it but couldn't catch it, swore it was 8" long.

Nyx my cat had a swollen face for a day or two. We almost had to take her to the vet, but they said time would heal it and it did.

8" long, if true would be an exotic because nothing in Baltimore gets that big. Girlfriend threw the remains down the garbage disposal before I got home from work.

Any animal fatalities?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Whitelightning777 I believe NW can be just as bad for small pets like cats as OW if they get the hairs into the throat, the throat swells causing breathing problems.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I guess one thing cats have in their favor is origin. The ancestors of modern domestic cats were African wild cats, pictured in the art of Egypt in the ancient world.

One would hope that they have some inborn resistance to old world baboon tarantula venom carried within the genetics since both have lived there for millions of years. Conflict must've occurred along the way in evolution.

Still, many OW are Asian like pokies which might have very different chemical formulas in the venom.

Nyx's reactions to toys shaped like rubber spiders and others is very strong and anything with that shape is treated with extreme prejudice.

Since she was abandoned at such a young age, I suspect she was eating insects and spiders to survive, not just the all to common Baltimore rats.

I hope to never find out!!

The persistent roach problem might've or not been based on someone else's roach feeders that got out, centipede food run amok.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Its not impossible that a new OR old world tarantula could kill a cat. I think its very likely that they could. That's just an opinion though, based on nothing but suspicion. I don't have a link, but look up aussie tarantula bite mortality rates on dogs. I know, everything in Oz is more potent, but to me it means nothing is out of the question. Did you know a G rosea's venom will kill a lab rat quicker than an H mac's venom? Potency is relative to the victim animals biology, apparently. Course I could be full of **** with my fancy assumptions;)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've only been bit once. It was by a Avicularia avicularia. She has the habit of jumping on my arm when I'm cleaning her enclosure. One day she jumped on my arm and started sliding down and she grabbed on with her fangs. I believe it was only a dry bite because there wasn't alot of pain or swelling afterwards...just two big holes.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you keep teasing the tiger, or the OBT, sooner or later you're gonna get bit.

Having seen that, I side with the OBT. He got plenty of warnings before getting tagged. One threat posture or slap was plenty sufficient notice to knock it off.

I'm pretty sure at least my L Klugi would probably nail my finger without warning if I stuck it in her face. She'd probably mistake it for food.

There's really no reason for doing that. The OBT has had it's behavior documented in great detail already.

What's next, a Singapore blue or a P Ornata?

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I figured that, just can't understand why. The effects of OBT bites are already extremely well documented. For example, if one were to go into a strip club or biker bar and do that to one of the redheads therein, the chances of a negative reaction are also 100% !!

In my opinion, there's probably better ways to observe defensive behavior. With the door closed, one could blow on the OBT with a small amount of compressed air through a ventilation hole. There are also green dot laser pointers commonly used to play with cats. If those were used within the visual field, it's highly probable that the spider would react.

Many tarantulas can't see red very well so a red dot might not work.

Once the observations are made, they need not ever be repeated.

Kinda like this!! :)

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
4 years going on 5 and I still have yet to get bitten, nor do I plan to. I have P. atrichromatus (very defensive), O. Sp. "Cebu" (OW that is skittish/defensive), P. cancerides (very defensive), B. sabulosum pair (these two make me sweat), A. Geniculata (defensive/feeding response). All of those species with a little attitude and still no bites. If a bite occurs, well what can I do? Nothing except sleep it off and let it pass.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A paintbrush and a big gulp slurpee cup are your friends. So is a tote box inside of your bathtub with the drain plugged.

My scorpion desperately wants to rip a chunk or two outta me. I haven't given her the chance.

You see it everywhere, especially with Cobalt blue tarantulas. People don't give them a way to dig deep burrows or try to rehouse them with bare hands.

You can go to AutoZone and get mechanics gloves that are stab and cut resistant, yet still allow for precise gripping if nothing else.

The one time i did have to handle my scorpion to remove string that got tangled up around the legs and stuck in the mouth from a previous owner, I lowered her temperature to 50 degrees for one hour first.

It went smoothly.

You can also use CO2 if there's no other options. Having said that, my spiders haven't ever given me any problems so far. They're still slings except for the Klugi, but I'm pretty optimistic.

Latest posts