• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What T are you waiting to own?

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Finally, tomorrow will be THE day! Hope I got a good size on the genic this time and I can't believe I will be having a pokie in my list by tomorrow. :T:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
WP_20160217_04_01_23_Pro.jpg

Finally, tomorrow will be THE day! Hope I got a good size on the genic this time and I can't believe I will be having a pokie in my list by tomorrow. :T:
Both excellent choices, congrats! Pics tomorrow? :) just fed my little girl..she's about 2 weeks post molt, 4 inch female. You'll be pleased with yours, if its anything like mine it will be out in the open..a lot :) My regalis is another story..she comes out in pitch dark only, and if I try to tickle her or prod her out, she doesn't budge, and if I insist..well, she's very fast and not pleasant when riled up..look, in this pic she's scowling because I caught her out and actually got a photo..
WP_20160201_01_09_56_Pro.jpg

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
View attachment 14320

Both excellent choices, congrats! Pics tomorrow? :) just fed my little girl..she's about 2 weeks post molt, 4 inch female. You'll be pleased with yours, if its anything like mine it will be out in the open..a lot :) My regalis is another story..she comes out in pitch dark only, and if I try to tickle her or prod her out, she doesn't budge, and if I insist..well, she's very fast and not pleasant when riled up..look, in this pic she's scowling because I caught her out and actually got a photo..
View attachment 14321
Very nice shots, kinda help with the anticipation. :rolleyes: Sure sure, lots of photos when I'll get them. ;)

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am currently looking at:

Orphnaecus philippinus
Monocentropus balfouri
Oligoxystre diamantinensis
Brachypelma emilia
Cyriocosmus elegans
Cyriocosmus ritae

All pricey! Really trying to decide which of the above I want the most. Concerned I will end up with all of them o_O

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am currently looking at:

Orphnaecus philippinus
Monocentropus balfouri
Oligoxystre diamantinensis
Brachypelma emilia
Cyriocosmus elegans
Cyriocosmus ritae

All pricey! Really trying to decide which of the above I want the most. Concerned I will end up with all of them o_O
That's what tax returns are for ;)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Still waiting on my return to come in, but i'm ordering my wish list tomorrow anyway since we have a break in the weather coming next week.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In the forthcoming weeks, I should receive three Phormictopus sp. green slings, and three Ceratogyrus sp. Mozambique slings (these last because of Enn49 I guess...). On the waiting list is a Pterinopelma sazimai too.
I'm trying to decide, as we speak, whether to get a 4" female sp green..i made the mistake of finding some very nice pics of adult females..what a gorgeous spider..all black with dark metalic green glinting on the carapace...my god. Plus it probably has an attitude problem, being a Phormictopus..that's it, I'm getting it. Good talk man. You always convince me to do the right thing :D

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm trying to decide, as we speak, whether to get a 4" female sp green..i made the mistake of finding some very nice pics of adult females..what a gorgeous spider..all black with dark metalic green glinting on the carapace...my god. Plus it probably has an attitude problem, being a Phormictopus..that's it, I'm getting it. Good talk man. You always convince me to do the right thing :D
Lol! I love it when it works out like that ;) I'm on the fence between the Avic purpurea and sp. peru purple. Decisions, decisions, decisions....

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol! I love it when it works out like that ;) I'm on the fence between the Avic purpurea and sp. peru purple. Decisions, decisions, decisions....
You know the purpurea is one of two avics I still need..i should look for a sling for my order..to be honest I got into other sp and I always thought the Peru purple was the same sp as the purpurea, renamed..doh! I have so many avics though, and theres so many Phormictopus and Pamphos out there that I must have..

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good sale for both purpurea and sp. peru purple with paul at pet center. 30 something each ;) for 3/4-1" slings if i recall correctly

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You know the purpurea is one of two avics I still need..i should look for a sling for my order..to be honest I got into other sp and I always thought the Peru purple was the same sp as the purpurea, renamed..doh! I have so many avics though, and theres so many Phormictopus and Pamphos out there that I must have..
but.....avic.....

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
but.....avic.....
You've said it many times, but I just experienced, or maybe paid attention enough, to watch the "avic walk" tonight when ours escaped. That little flick and flutter of the their front legs, it's so... cute :)

Not to mention the bunching up they do and then that sudden burst of speed, startled me a bit when ours did that trying to get her back in her enclosure. Luckily the burst of speed only lasted from my fingers to just short of my elbow ;) then she was calm and wandered down my forearm back to my hand. I don't intentionally handle them but i take a moment to enjoy the tiny ones when they escape. I think i may finally be overcoming my phobia :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've never feared spiders (just bees as a kid) but I've heard many people have successfully beaten arachnophobia by keeping tarantulas. I think that's kind of cool. It also says a lot about tarantulas, but most people don't understand that.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It took me a month or so for my son to talk me into holding the GBB when we first got it and i was cringing and gritting my teeth the whole time she sat on my palm. After i started collecting i was nervous just opening cages to water them, and these were mostly tiny slings. If I had an escapee i'd holler at my son lol. I'd guess in the last month or so, maybe 2, i haven't hollered hardly at all ;)

I won't handle the larger slings, as i'm still nervous about them if they escape. I'll use a catch cup and return them. The smaller slings i have no problem with now. They can climb out onto my hand and i'm fine with it. With some, like the rosea and G. pulchripes, I've found myself wanting to handle. They're so cute when they're tiny like that. It's when they get larger and I think what damage the fangs alone could do i get nervous ;)

Progress!! :D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It took me a month or so for my son to talk me into holding the GBB when we first got it and i was cringing and gritting my teeth the whole time she sat on my palm. After i started collecting i was nervous just opening cages to water them, and these were mostly tiny slings. If I had an escapee i'd holler at my son lol. I'd guess in the last month or so, maybe 2, i haven't hollered hardly at all ;)

I won't handle the larger slings, as i'm still nervous about them if they escape. I'll use a catch cup and return them. The smaller slings i have no problem with now. They can climb out onto my hand and i'm fine with it. With some, like the rosea and G. pulchripes, I've found myself wanting to handle. They're so cute when they're tiny like that. It's when they get larger and I think what damage the fangs alone could do i get nervous ;)

Progress!! :D
That's fantastic man. I really don't think a bite from most of the spiders in this hobby would be a big deal. Not even from the giants. I know one inch fangs can cause mechanical damage, but you just don't hear about that happening much. I'll be honest, I have a somewhat cavalier attitude about sticking my hands in their houses to do maintenance, and it will most likely end up getting me bitten. I'm okay with that, to me its worth the experience of letting, say, your 8 1/2 inch Lp slap your hand..that's a unique experience, it made my day :D Those claws actually hurt a little, kind of startled me. Now I know exactly how my mm felt when she slapped him upside his carapace several times. He's probably got brain damage..lol..no, he's doing fine :) Its a matter of perspective I suppose. I just don't see one of them harming me..not really. I'm quite sure an old worlder like one of my obts would be..not fun...but I don't take the same approach to those sp..my momma raised ugly kids, not stupid ones:)

Nicolas C

3 Year Member

Not to mention P sp green are one of the biggest Phormic available once mature! And... not to mention that MM are even more beautiful (which means: don't worry about sexing slings: you are lucky with males as you are lucky with females). Just saying... in case you'd order more than one big female... :p

I'm looking forward seeing the colors for real (not on photo), hope I won't be disappointed. Mine (I've ordered three unsexed slings) should arrive when the weather is warm enough.

And, Mass... look at this...: http://www.macilacispiders.hu/elado-poszter/phormictopus_genus_poster/

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Excellent, I saved it :D Its my wallpaper now. Man theres so many good looking Phormictopus species. Its like when I really started looking at Pamphos and wondered why it took me so long to discover the genus. If id known then what I know now, my collection would be drastically different.

Latest posts