• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What roaches to feed my slings?

RyanT

3 Year Member
Hi all

I am running out of small roaches and not sure what to feed my slings, I have tiny slings, one about 1cm in size Mbe a little bigger. What do I feed it. I have tried leaving a dead roach out for it to eat, but no luck. The roach was a bit bigger than my sling. Did it not go for the roach because it was dead or was it because it was bigger than him/her.

I don't know if I need to get a new batch, I still have so many bigger roaches that work very well for my 4cm slings so I don't really wanna order more if I don't have to.

Also my roach enclosure has a bunch of tiny whit larvae in it. Is that roach larvae?

What do I do please help

Thanks

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
At that size they need to hunt live prey. What do the larva look like? Can you post pictures. Roach nymphs look like a little white roach.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What kind of roaches do you have? The only white things I've seen in a roach colony are freshly molted roaches or brand ew baby roaches, and they don't stay white for long.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What kind of roaches do you have? The only white things I've seen in a roach colony are freshly molted roaches or brand ew baby roaches, and they don't stay white for long.
Exactly. Couple hours at most. And the nymphs look like a roach, no mistaking them for soemthing else.

RyanT

3 Year Member
I will post a pic ASAP. Ive been thinking and come to a possible conclusion that the white larvae are fruit fly larvae. I could be wrong but I did have some fruit flies in the roach enclosure before I moved them to another enclosure

RyanT

3 Year Member
If they need live prey what should I go with. As I said my sling is so tiny. I don't think it's able to take down roach nymph.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The only reason you would have fruit flies in there is if you left and fruit or veggies too long.
If your T is 1cm it should be able to handle the average B dubia roach nymph which is about .3-.4cm. Pinhead and 1 week crickets a smaller yet, and could be an option.

RyanT

3 Year Member
Will give it a try thanks, can I leave a roach in the enclosure or do I need to worry about it burrowing deep down into the substrate.

RyanT

3 Year Member
K I have done that. He tried to take it then ran away from it. It's the smallest roach I have about 1 cm in length. Will he try again. I have heard that a T can break a fang taking prey to big. Is that true? Does it sound like the roach is too big for my sling?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
K I have done that. He tried to take it then ran away from it. It's the smallest roach I have about 1 cm in length. Will he try again. I have heard that a T can break a fang taking prey to big. Is that true? Does it sound like the roach is too big for my sling?
It's possible the t is afraid of it. Maim it, crush a small part of it so its still wiggling and leave it for the sling. He'll eat it :)

Latest posts