• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is that Tarantula

SpiderHouseRules

3 Year Member
I am trying to recall the name of that tarantula that gets huge, is really mean and burrows very deep. It's also known for not coming to the surface very often. It's a really dark brown color and I believe there is one other tarantula in that genus that is common.

I went researching I came up with a couple of names but I'd rather hear from you and give me your guess.

Thanks

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I believe the largest T is the Goliath birdeater (Theraphosa blondi).

SpiderHouseRules

3 Year Member
The species is either Gigas or Hystocratis(?)

I think I found it. The Tawny Red Baboon. The problem I'm having is that there is another giant burrower, an old world species, that is similar. I think the one I'm thinking of is the H. Gigas though e I just found out it is reclusive.

Last edited:

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My guess would be P. muticus (King Baboon). Reddish brown in color, quite feisty, and rarely come out of their burrows.They are slow growing and get quite large.

SpiderHouseRules

3 Year Member
My guess would be P. muticus (King Baboon). Reddish brown in color, quite feisty, and rarely come out of their burrows.They are slow growing and get quite large.

I forgot about this one. P. multicus could be the one I'm thinking about. So far I've come across 3 African species that are deep burrowers, aggressive, fast, and reclusive.

Poec54

3 Year Member
I believe the largest T is the Goliath birdeater (Theraphosa blondi).

Apophysis is, as far as DLS. Stirmi and blondi are a close second. The name blondi was used a lot in the past because it wasn't realized there were three species in the genus. People looking at old literature get all starry-eyed about blondi. Stirmi is just as big, much hardier, much easier to breed, much cheaper, and still coming in from the wild. But none of the Theraphosa dig deep burrows.

Poec54

3 Year Member

King Baboons, the artists formerly known Citharishius crawshayi, seem to get around 7", which is big for an African, but not huge. Many South American terrestrials and Asian arboreals get that big, and bigger.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
King Baboons, the artists formerly known Citharishius crawshayi, seem to get around 7", which is big for an African, but not huge. Many South American terrestrials and Asian arboreals get that big, and bigger.

I knew they didn't get as large as many of the South American terrestrials, but I've heard their sizes exaggerated many times, and he mentioned burrowing and not coming out much, so that was my guess.

Latest posts