• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What have tarantulas done for you?

ShellsnMargarita

3 Year Member
When I was a kid, I was terrified of spiders. Full out arachnophobia. I wouldn't even go into the woods or a garage for fear of encountering an eight-legged friend. That was before I discovered the tarantula.

I'm a professional writer. I have been since the age of fifteen. While working on a story, I wanted an exotic pet for my main character. Thanks to research, I found the tarantula. I became fascinated, not afraid. The name of the tarantula in my story was Daisy, as that seemed ironically adorable. I finally bought a Daisy of my own today.

No exaggeration, spiders were my worst fear. Once that went out the window, nothing could hold me back. I guess you could say that tarantulas have inspired me to explore the exotic side of life. I'm that person everyone says has the "weird" home. Taxidermy, antique ventriloquist dummies, a pet rat, now a pet tarantula--what else can I add to this odd collection? We'll have to see. Thanks, tarantulas!

What did they do for you?

ShellsnMargarita

3 Year Member
She's a G.Rosea. I wanted to get a B.Albopilosum as my first, but I couldn't find any for sale or adoption in my area. I was barely able to find any tarantulas at all, actually. It took quite a bit of research to find Daisy. I'm glad I did. It is very calming to watch her.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Our first T, Karina, got my son over his arachnophobia! As for me...well, they've taught me all about Tarantula addiction haha

AngelOtter

3 Year Member
I've always been far from arachnophobic, I've been fascinated by spiders since before I could walk (no lie, my favorite song as a baby was the itsy bitsy spider xD). It took my boyfriend a bit to warm up to Ares, he's still afraid of Lotus, but we are working on it. I agree that they are therapeutic to watch, I use taking care of all my animals as a form of stress relief. Plus they are way more interesting then fish.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mostly, my ts make me laugh. when I first looked after one for my friends I was blown away by how intelligent she was. Then I began collecting and even now there different personalities amaze me.