• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What happens if geniculata bites?

Christell Erasmus

3 Year Member
Hi there.
They are new world tarantulas so they would rather flick their urticating hairs. In the unfortunate incident that they do bite the venom is not very strong but because of their huge fangs there will be tissue damage and you might want to seek medical attention. Hope this help. Maybe some of the other members have something to add.

sinsitilki

3 Year Member
Hi there.
They are new world tarantulas so they would rather flick their urticating hairs. In the unfortunate incident that they do bite the venom is not very strong but because of their huge fangs there will be tissue damage and you might want to seek medical attention. Hope this help. Maybe some of the other members have something to add.

so its venom is not serious?

sinsitilki

3 Year Member
did yours bite you?
ixon9.jpg
wm2xp.jpg

Will my skin be as same as it is?

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Those pics are not from tarantulas (Or even possibly from spiders), so don't worry about it.
As far as I know, tarantulas have neurotoxic venom whereas the only bite that COULD cause damage like that is from cytotoxic venom.
New world spiders generally do not have bad venom, so just keep the bite site clean and watch for bad symptoms.
Regarding that terrible pic of the finger, look here: http://www.hoax-slayer.com/brown-recluse.html

sinsitilki

3 Year Member
Those pics are not from tarantulas (Or even possibly from spiders), so don't worry about it.
As far as I know, tarantulas have neurotoxic venom whereas the only bite that COULD cause damage like that is from cytotoxic venom.
New world spiders generally do not have bad venom, so just keep the bite site clean and watch for bad symptoms.
Regarding that terrible pic of the finger, look here: http://www.hoax-slayer.com/brown-recluse.html

So... Geniculata bite is not dangerous. And even doesn't look like pictures which I've shared?

GTarantula

3 Year Member
Actually the second photo looks like a brown bite but I could be wrong. I know they got a nasty bite.

Anyway yeah your T won't kill. The fangs are the worse part might need a stitch or two but thats it.

GTarantula

3 Year Member
I was right its a brown bite. Just have to be extra careful when dealing with spiders your not familiar with. I get them here where I am in PA every so often. Usually I get a container and get them in and release them a few miles away (a few being like 20 miles away lol)

Sabeth

3 Year Member
A bite from a New World tarantula (like the A. genic) rarely results in anything more serious than the puncture wounds from the fangs; often the T will not even inject venom. The most important thing is to wash the wounds thoroughly. Covering the bite will also help protect it from infection. Redness, swelling, or increasing pain can signal infection, in which case medical attention should be sought. The majority of tarantula bites are completely inconsequential.

Latest posts