• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What does "sp" stand for?

micheldied

3 Year Member
Exact: it means "specie". In your exemple, it means we know the genus ("Aphonopelma") but the specie isn't scientifically described. Then the name is "sp." (because we don't know the right name) and a location (here: "New River").

This, although it isn't necessarily a location all the time. It can be anything, really. It's just a name given to an as of yet undescribed species.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This, although it isn't necessarily a location all the time. It can be anything, really. It's just a name given to an as of yet undescribed species.
so, in effect like the pumpkin patch Hapalopus sp. colombia?
So...does that mean after I learn their correct names its going to change...its hard for me I'm old and pushing senility...I was sane a few kids ago....

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So...does that mean after I learn their correct names its going to change...its hard for me I'm old and pushing senility...I was sane a few kids ago....
That's is exactly what it means. names are forever changing.

micheldied

3 Year Member

Yes. With Tarantulas, at the rate that taxonomic changes are going, it'll probably be decades before even 90% of the species in the hobby are properly described though.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
May i ask a question also..

What is this "0.1.0, 0.0.1" and any other number formations i see stand for? :oops:
Asked this question myself. The answer can also be found in a sticky actually. Right in the Forum Help tab at the bottom of the home page. ;)

Latest posts