• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Well now I've gone and done it

s_nevermind

3 Year Member
I have been looking at Ts for a while and doing my homework. I even got my (spider terrified) wife to hold a Rosie at the Butterfly Pavilion in Denver so she would sign off on my craziness. In spite of that, I just bought an OBT (2") as my first. I figure if I can get through a molt without finding out first hand how fast and painful they can be then we can probably live together. There seems to be a good vibe on this board so I look forward to meeting everyone.

Attachments

• IMAG3362.jpg
    IMAG3362.jpg
    733 KB · Views: 26
  • IMAG3363.jpg
    IMAG3363.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 25

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, welcome and congrats on your first T. I too bought an OBT as a first T 14 months ago, around the same size as yours and although I have never seen any aggression from her, in fact I hardly see her, I always keep in mind what she is capable of. Use long tongs for maintenance and always keep it in view, be ready to react quickly and you'll be fine.

Down with OBT

3 Year Member
Not fear mongering, but be prepared for the most aggressive T especially if it turns male. This species is very (how do I put this) *bipolar* they either run first which means at some point you may be chasing it around your house, or it will have a bite first mentality which turns out to be mundane once you're used to it, however, makes it very difficult if you ever need to ship a male out for breeding etc.

beautiful species and Welcome to the hobby!!!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I highly recommend taking all of the advice you've been given so far. Tongs are a must have for species like this. Personally I think buying an OBT as a first tarantula is not the smartest decision. No amount of research is going to prepare you for the real thing. However you've already bought the spider, so I see no point in scolding you over it. Just be very careful when rehousing or doing maintenance. Research the bag method, it'll save you a lot of trouble.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'll be honest, I'd researched OBTs thoroughly before I bought mine and made the decision to house her in a 12''x12''x18'' ExoTerra so I would have no need to go through the ordeal of rehousing.

s_nevermind

3 Year Member
Thanks for the support and advice. Just got back from buying the tongs!

I have done some of my reading and I am ready to use the bag method to move her into an enclosure big enough that it should only need occasional cleaning and will be a good forever home. My only concern there is that it might be TOO large. It is 10"x12"x20" and at only 2.0-2.5" I am worried that finding the food might be an issue. S/he is in a 1/2 gallon plastic container now and it seems like it fits about right for now...

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That enclosure should be fine as I say mine was around the same size. They are semi-arboreal so just give it some branches and plants. Mine started webbing at the top of her viv and worked her way down and now has a self made cave at the bottom, she completely ignored the hide I gave her.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'll be honest, I'd researched OBTs thoroughly before I bought mine and made the decision to house her in a 12''x12''x18'' ExoTerra so I would have no need to go through the ordeal of rehousing.
I remember your post on Arachnoboards (correct me if I'm mistaking you for someone else), and I still have to disagree with your decision. However you seem like a responsible guy. With that being said, what worked for you may not work for others. Perhaps you got off lucky. People who are less responsible than you may not be so fortunate. I suggest we watch what we say for the sake of the OP and other noobs who may stumble across this thread in the future.

Also they are terrestrials and I feel they should be housed as such. They may have some arboreal tendencies, but house them like a terrestrial and they're more likely to stay closer to the ground. An OBT that is housed as an arboreal is more likely to run upwards, which I think most people would like to avoid.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I remember your post on Arachnoboards (correct me if I'm mistaking you for someone else), and I still have to disagree with your decision. However you seem like a responsible guy. With that being said, what worked for you may not work for others. Perhaps you got off lucky. People who are less responsible than you may not be so fortunate. I suggest we watch what we say for the sake of the OP and other noobs who may stumble across this thread in the future.

Also they are terrestrials and I feel they should be housed as such. They may have some arboreal tendencies, but house them like a terrestrial and they're more likely to stay closer to the ground. An OBT that is housed as an arboreal is more likely to run upwards, which I think most people would like to avoid.

It probably was me but may I point out that I am a female of mature years and have a lot of experience with fast-striking snakes so I treat my Ts with respect for the fact that they are wild creatures and therefore unpredictable. Any comments I post on here are from my own experiences of a species and when necessary I will warn people of the need to treat OBTs with great care, hence the advice of using long tongs etc.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It probably was me but may I point out that I am a female of mature years and have a lot of experience with fast-striking snakes so I treat my Ts with respect for the fact that they are wild creatures and therefore unpredictable. Any comments I post on here are from my own experiences of a species and when necessary I will warn people of the need to treat OBTs with great care, hence the advice of using long tongs etc.

My mistake, didn't realize you were a woman. Should've said "responsible person" :)

Anyway I personally don't think anyone should get an OBT as a first tarantula. Hell, I'd recommend a Pokie before an OBT, just because they're a bit more predictable and a lot less defensive. That's just my personal opinion. Like I said though, you seem to have a pretty good head on your shoulders. I just feel that not every person is going to be as responsible, that's why I try to deter noobs from purchasing OW species. I just feel like too many things can go wrong.

Random Note: I hate using the abbreviation "T". That's why I always just spell out the word tarantula. Random, I know, but that's just a pet peeve of mine. [emoji14]

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My mistake, didn't realize you were a woman. Should've said "responsible person" :)

Anyway I personally don't think anyone should get an OBT as a first tarantula. Hell, I'd recommend a Pokie before an OBT, just because they're a bit more predictable and a lot less defensive. That's just my personal opinion. Like I said though, you seem to have a pretty good head on your shoulders. I just feel that not every person is going to be as responsible, that's why I try to deter noobs from purchasing OW species. I just feel like too many things can go wrong.

Random Note: I hate using the abbreviation "T". That's why I always just spell out the word tarantula. Random, I know, but that's just a pet peeve of mine. [emoji14]

I certainly wouldn't recommend an OBT in general as a first tarantula but I chose mine for her colour and as I said I was more than aware of their reputation. Oddly enough my son's first one was a Pokie. I do feel I have been lucky with my OBT as she would rather hide than attack but I have learnt that tarantulas of the same species can vary in behavior quite considerably.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I certainly wouldn't recommend an OBT in general as a first tarantula but I chose mine for her colour and as I said I was more than aware of their reputation. Oddly enough my son's first one was a Pokie. I do feel I have been lucky with my OBT as she would rather hide than attack but I have learnt that tarantulas of the same species can vary in behavior quite considerably.
Agreed. I have 3 Psalmopoeus cambridgei. One is fairly calm, one is skittish but usually just runs away, and one is mean as hell and threat poses me everytime I open her enclosure. All 3 came from the same sac too.

s_nevermind

3 Year Member
This one is for you, Chubbs!

My OBT is back at the shop looking for a new home and I am the proud owner of one of the two tarantulas I actually went shopping for. I now have an inch and a half B. Smithi "Mexican" red knee (I was also looking at Firelegs). I feel more comfortable already, which is better for both me and the T. I will update my profile pic once I can get a better view:T:...

PamCz

3 Year Member
lol... Love your signature line. I know how that feels. :D

Welcome...and you are gonna adore your smithi! Mine is so calm and slow, and a great eater! Such a nice T that won't hide all the time, or threat pose you...or make you freak a little every time you enter the enclosure. There's time for the OBT later. ;)

elektragrl

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome

Not going to lie I'm relieved you have what you wanted instead of the OBT. I was shipped one due to a packaging error and told I could keep it. I treat this tarantula with respect for what it is and I have long tongues but that doesn't mean I'm not scared of it! I love my squitter s/he will always be my first Tarantula but I wouldn't have picked an OBT. I can't wait to see your new tarantula pic! :)

PamCz

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome

Not going to lie I'm relieved you have what you wanted instead of the OBT. I was shipped one due to a packaging error and told I could keep it. I treat this tarantula with respect for what it is and I have long tongues but that doesn't mean I'm not scared of it! I love my squitter s/he will always be my first Tarantula but I wouldn't have picked an OBT. I can't wait to see your new tarantula pic! :)
I just bought what I thought was a Ceratogyrus darlingi, but I couldn't see it very well, as it had been webbing in it's little deli container. When I got it home and was able to shine my flashlight into the webbing it had made...an OBT was what I found! I already have one and don't need another. So, back to the LPS it went. Bummed it wasn't the darlingi.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't know why, but an OBT is one of the few Ts that I can't see myself being comfortable with. They fall under the same category for me as Giant Centipedes: I love looking at them and hearing about them, but only from far away or through pics/films, lol.
Beautiful spiders though.
I got an Orange Climbey Thing instead (T. Gigas), lol.

Good choice for a first T by the way, OP. Can't go wrong with a Brachy at any stage, can you?

Latest posts