• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Welcome to Tarantula Forum!

Listershat

3 Year Member
Hi, I just joined tonight. I've had T's for a a few years now, but I'm still very much a novice. Got 10 as well at the moment, (lost 3 littl'uns this year). My main concern at the moment is the aggressiveness of one of them. I thought my E. Murinus would be the most aggro / skittish out of the lot, (& she can be ;)) as can my speedy B & W Birdeater - but no, I got a 4 inch New River Rust Rump last month that's crazy. I hoped she, (hopefully) would calm down after a couple of weeks but not at all. When I open the tank lid to mist / feed she bolts for the gap. She threat postures and runs round the sides, would be quite amusing if it didn't mean she was stressed etc. Does anyone think she'll calm down? Am I too impatient? They are meant to be one of the most docile. Thanks for any ideas.

Atx13

3 Year Member
Hi, I just joined tonight. I've had T's for a a few years now, but I'm still very much a novice. Got 10 as well at the moment, (lost 3 littl'uns this year). My main concern at the moment is the aggressiveness of one of them. I thought my E. Murinus would be the most aggro / skittish out of the lot, (& she can be ;)) as can my speedy B & W Birdeater - but no, I got a 4 inch New River Rust Rump last month that's crazy. I hoped she, (hopefully) would calm down after a couple of weeks but not at all. When I open the tank lid to mist / feed she bolts for the gap. She threat postures and runs round the sides, would be quite amusing if it didn't mean she was stressed etc. Does anyone think she'll calm down? Am I too impatient? They are meant to be one of the most docile. Thanks for any ideas.
Its not really uncommon to get a "docile" T that isn't.. Just enjoy her for a distance, and try not to disturb her too much..
Also, she could just be stressed... doesn't like her substrate, or its to moist in her enclosure..

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forums!

thistle77

3 Year Member
Hi everyone. Found this forum last night and had to join, it looks great.

I got my first T, a SA F G.pulchra called Betty, a year ago. I was very happy with Betty but had absolutely NO INTENTION of getting any more, 1 was enough. When I read on other forums of people who couldn't stop at 1, I shook my head, felt superior as I was much stronger than them and able to resist the pull of getting more........ So I now have 8. As well as Betty, I have a SA F C.cyaneopubescens and 6 slings (B.smithi, B.boehmi, B.emilia, A.versicolor, A.amazonica and an A.metallica), but that's enough, I have no intention of getting any more......

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi everyone. Found this forum last night and had to join, it looks great.

I got my first T, a SA F G.pulchra called Betty, a year ago. I was very happy with Betty but had absolutely NO INTENTION of getting any more, 1 was enough. When I read on other forums of people who couldn't stop at 1, I shook my head, felt superior as I was much stronger than them and able to resist the pull of getting more........ So I now have 8. As well as Betty, I have a SA F C.cyaneopubescens and 6 slings (B.smithi, B.boehmi, B.emilia, A.versicolor, A.amazonica and an A.metallica), but that's enough, I have no intention of getting any more......
Welcome! Ahhh intentions, intentions....they sure have a way of changing in this hobby LOL. Nice collection you have :D

2moons

3 Year Member
Howdy everyone-:) Just joined your forum and thought I'd jump right in.
This is my 2nd go-round owning T's. Back in the '80's I had several including about 60+ baby A. avicularias I was raising for my "T connection". Back then I didn't know dit, except for what I could learn from the T person I was getting mine from. In 1985 I had to re-home my collection because my Dad got ill and came to live with me, but the love for the hobby never left. I talked about my spideys a lot over the years, and then this last summer, a lil neighbor girl, convinced she was deathly afraid of spiders, gave me the reason I needed, to jump back into the hobby. I was hoping I could show her through observation and the knowledge available online that T's were something to revere and not the creature that 'myths' made them out to be. (It's been a slow process with her but at least she's been willing to learn about them...)
But, for me, it's been AWESOME! As of yesterday, (added 5) my collection is up to 17 and will be 18 when my male Aphonopelma schmidti (Mineral Mntn Blonde) arrives. I am top heavy in Avic. and a good portion of my collection is from this genre. I have m/f A. avic., m/f A. metallica and 2 1" babies, a 1" A. versicolor, a 1 1/2" A. azurklaasi and a 1 1/2" A. braunsmausoni. (Hope I spelled those right). Then there's my mf Min. Mntn, a baby Brachy Red leg, a 1 1/2 P. Pulcher, a baby N. Chromatis, a baby 1" Curleyhair, a baby Chaco, a 1" GBB and a baby A. gen. (whiteknee). Ok now that I've bored you with my list, lol... I joined the forum, because you guys "love" T's and the posts I've read have already helped me learn more about my brood plus others I'd like to add, and gives me a place to come to when I need help with something I can't find much info. on. I do tend to spend hours looking on line for T info and have really tried to give the T's I have a good place by learning about each sp. and their needs, temperament etc. Every T I have, for different reasons, is my favorite and hope to not drive ya crazzzy with post. LOL I love watching them, feeding them, etc. and am interested in trying to do some breeding, cuz. "I love babies?" ya...but I also find it an interesting challenge. I also feel it's important to make sure we don't lose our T's to mans progress. I'll do my best to add to the forum but I still consider myself a novice and won't post unless I know what I'm posting is truthful and useful. Thanks to all of you and looking fwd. to meeting and making "spidey" friends.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the boards 2moons! Nice collection you have...look forward to pictures! Also good job helping that little girl conquer her fear of spiders :)

laMort

3 Year Member
Hello everyone! I'm Liisa, 18 years old and new to the forum. I don't have a tarantula yet, but I'm preparing to buy one! :) I've ordered a terrarium and bought all the supplies. Now all I need is a tarantula and I hope I'm getting one soon.

Erin F.

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome to Tarantula Forum! I created this site with the hopes that it will one day become a great FREE resource for pet tarantula keepers the world over. Our aim is to maintain a family-friendly place where people can discuss tarantula husbandry online. Please take a minute to register as part of our community and introduce yourself here in this thread or in the Introductions subforum.

Best,

Josh
Hi, my name is Erin and I live in Florida. I'm a 24 year old newlywed, and have just discovered the wonderful world of tarantulas. I only have one at the moment, a gorgeous pink toe. I'm not sure yet whether it is male or female. I'm hoping to soon get an avicularia versicolor and a mexican red-knee. I had only planned on getting the one T, but now that I have one I am hooked!

Tguy

3 Year Member
Hi erin and welcome to TF..... depending on the size of you T a clear pic of the underside it can be sexed it's always a guess but some here have a good eye for it.... did you order the otheres yet :)

Latest posts