• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Web destruction

Jed

3 Year Member
Hi! New to the forum and to tarantulas. My first T is an A. Avicularia, my daughter named Vicky. (Hahaha get it? Vicky?) Anyway. Had her about 4 months, and she has grown nicely from about the size of a half dollar to maybe 2.5 to 3 inches around. She had made a nice web on the wall of one side of the enclosure, extending from on top a half log up the perhaps 5 inches to the top of the cage. She has been eating well and seems active and healthy, and I know my husbandry is on point as I have done tons of research. Tonight I went to feed, and found her web mostly destroyed. She has moved into the half log which before she seemed to despise, I assumed because they are arboreal and dislike being on the ground. No one bothers her because everyone in the house is terrified of her (heheh living with all women who think "bugs" are icky can get annoying). I don't understand what could have happened to the web. I thought maybe the cat knocked her cage over and someone picked it up, but no substrate was out of place. Do they sometimes destroy their own webs? She is likely due for a molt soon, maybe she likes the log because it feels more secure? I looked around online and couldn't find any info about webs falling apart or being torn down by the spider itself. Maybe I am overcautious, but I love my creepy crawlies, and getting into inverts has been way fun! Thanks in advance for your input!

Jed

3 Year Member
Wow I just read a post talking about this species periodically ripping down web. Should have searched before posting sorry. Still would love any insight into this behavior if anyone has info to elaborate!

Latest posts