• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

WC Feather Leg Baboon Tarantula, should we keep it?

Lioth

3 Year Member
We found this huge hairy tarantula around our dining area's walls, and by the way Liberia is in West Africa. Is it dangerous and not recommended to be kept in captivity? It is the biggest spider I've ever seen and also the second tarantula I've seen in my life.

NewBitmapImage2.jpg

NewBitmapImage.jpg

We recently found a beast inside our house and then we kept it, without knowing what it was. I asked if someone could identify what it was and then someone told me that it was a Stromatopelma calceatum (Feather Leg Baboon Tarantula). I decided to also do some research and kinda found out that it is one of the most aggressive tarantulas in the world, and that's pretty advanced for me because I love keeping venomous and dangerous animals but I'm inexperienced. I'm alright with keeping it, but I'm absolutely careless (from what I've heard..) and it might do something dangerous, which is what my family fears. I've heard that the urticating hairs can cause allergic skin reactions which can manifest as inflammation, rash and/or itching. Temporary blindness? Don't know. Just being careful.

I'm like 69% feeling like keeping it, but I do feel extremely in danger when I'm around it. I'm going to keep it for now, unless my family forces me to put it away or kill it. Lastly, there are a lot of reports here in Liberia that this spider is actually capable of killing a human being. They're Africans and I think they're telling the truth, but I wouldn't believe such stories without witness or empirical evidence. Is it really deadly? When I asked a few people standing at the T they were very frightened, and they were going to kill it immediately so I didn't have time to think; I spared its life ordering my friend to immediately stop his violent action to the arachnid. Just a guess by the way, no offense, I think some unhealthy Liberians might not be strong or healthy enough to withstand the venom of this strong T. But the adults and grown-ups here are also scared of it, no idea why. As for the Feather leg, he's in a neat enclosure right now. And I'm going to get some crickets to feed one for it tomorrow along with my WC Emperor Scorpion. I strongly agree that they are very fast, the fastest moving arachnid I've ever seen with such blinding speed indeed, but what about the Amblypygids? That's a different topic, so let's not compare their speed. Anyway, how do I use tongs to put it up somewhere where it can't escape, and to carefully do it to it without making injuries and any damages to the spider? Please reply if you have time. Peace.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
that is in fact S.Calceatum, and although it is not deadly (unless your allergic) they do pack quite a punch, and would require a visit to the hospital.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lioth, I am going to refer this question to ne of our other members who has kept this species before.

That being said, I would personally release the tarantula some where it would be safe, away from people. It would do much better in the wild where it could reproduce.

Atx13

3 Year Member
I'd put it back in the wild, not really a T for someone who hasn't kept any before... They have the worst bite of all tarantulas... not deadly... but you'll be in pain for a week or 2.. very fast, and pretty aggressive.
But if you'd really like to keep it, Make sure to get a nice tall enclosure, with a hide, buried in the substrate so that it can hide, somewhat underground and climb when it wants to. They dont really come out very often.. so wont be much of a display pet for ya... But they are cool all the same!
Congrats on the find, let us know what you decide to do with him :).

Lioth

3 Year Member
Four people have already recommended me not to keep it, so I guess I'd just go along with your opinions. :3
He has the most brilliant color for me compared to other tarantulas: whitish-brown and silver. He's in-fact the type of tarantula that I would love to buy in my home country (the Philippines) but not now, I guess because we assume that there is no cure for the venom of this tarantula due to the corruption of this poor country. The natives might have some kinda medicine though. But not sure and not ready right now, so see ya feather leg! :>

DSCN5786.jpg
DSCN5789.jpg
DSCN5778.jpg
DSCN5779.jpg

True Climber

3 Year Member
True Climber:

That is a great T that you have caught. If you where able to catch it, I believe that you are able to handle this T. Not physically holding it. Lol. Having this T would build your experiences with them to handle any T. Keep your good findings.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Also, that T was a MM. No sense keeping a MM of any species unless you're going to pair him.
Stromatopelma calcaetum is a very defensive and potent T and should only be kept by experienced keepers who know what they're in for. You did the right thing by releasing him.

Latest posts