• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Waxworms?

Meludox

3 Year Member
Went to Petsmart today to get smaller insects for my B. albop coming tomorrow. I asked for smaller sized mealworms and the woman gave me waxworms. What's the nutritional value and is there anything special I need to do to take care of them?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Went to Petsmart today to get smaller insects for my B. albop coming tomorrow. I asked for smaller sized mealworms and the woman gave me waxworms. What's the nutritional value and is there anything special I need to do to take care of them?
Nutritional value is more of a concern with reptiles and amphibians. Insects with more meat and less chitin are always a good idea. Wax worms are very fatty, but that's not much of a concern with invertebrates. All of my tarantulas love them. Even the ones that refuse superworms and mealworms go crazy over wax worms.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sure. The moths can be used as well. My Avics in particular love those. Unlike a superworm or Mealworm, wax worms can not cause any physical harm to a molting tarantula.