• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Waterfalls inside a Terrarium?

Viscus

3 Year Member
Might I add my two cents? My fiance has a Brazilan Black. (can not rememver the tech name for it.) Every where I read said humidity should be at, or around 80% for it. So playing around with a few ideas before it ever arrived I settled on air tubes run into the encloser where they were not going to be an issue, that were hooked into a small container set on a heating pad. Of which had water inside. We still mist every other day, but the tubes pass enough humidity that within 48 hours it drops roughly 5%-10%.

Note: This was set up for a sling who was too small for a water dish. I get crafty some times.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
I wouldn't stress about a tarantula drowning,I have had lampropelma violaceopes climbing into a water dish before a molt and they are arboreal. Some specimens pre molt,will literally climb in to a water dish I have seen many examples from fossorial terrestrial and arboreal.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just found my Lampropelma violaceopes molt in the water dish this morning! Going to be a good day!

Poec54

3 Year Member
Might I add my two cents? My fiance has a Brazilan Black. (can not rememver the tech name for it.) Every where I read said humidity should be at, or around 80% for it. So playing around with a few ideas before it ever arrived I settled on air tubes run into the encloser where they were not going to be an issue, that were hooked into a small container set on a heating pad. Of which had water inside. We still mist every other day, but the tubes pass enough humidity that within 48 hours it drops roughly 5%-10%.

Note: This was set up for a sling who was too small for a water dish. I get crafty some times.

I have Brazilian Black slings, along with slings of several dozen other species. That's overkill, even for Theraphosa (which have higher moisture requirements). I keep all my slings (every species) in 16 oz or 32 oz deli cups with a ring or two of small holes near the top for cross ventilation (no holes in the lid). Inside is an inch of substrate, a piece of cork and/or plastic plant (Zoo Med vining type, cut to fit), & some moist long fiber sphagnum for drinking, humidity, and nesting. All of them get a water bowl when they have a 1/2" legspan; none have ever drown. The only misting is every week or two to moisten the sphagnum.

You've got an overly complicated system that's totally unnecessary. Tarantulas wouldn't be nearly as popular if people had to go thru that with their spiderlings. There's a lot of misinformation on the internet, and care sheets are known for being a primary source of it. The best advice is disregard them and ask on a forum where there's big collectors and breeders who have been thru all of this.

Viscus

3 Year Member
I have Brazilian Black slings, along with slings of several dozen other species. That's overkill, even for Theraphosa (which have higher moisture requirements). I keep all my slings (every species) in 16 oz or 32 oz deli cups with a ring or two of small holes near the top for cross ventilation (no holes in the lid). Inside is an inch of substrate, a piece of cork and/or plastic plant (Zoo Med vining type, cut to fit), & some moist long fiber sphagnum for drinking, humidity, and nesting. All of them get a water bowl when they have a 1/2" legspan; none have ever drown. The only misting is every week or two to moisten the sphagnum.

You've got an overly complicated system that's totally unnecessary. Tarantulas wouldn't be nearly as popular if people had to go thru that with their spiderlings. There's a lot of misinformation on the internet, and care sheets are known for being a primary source of it. The best advice is disregard them and ask on a forum where there's big collectors and breeders who have been thru all of this.

That is kind of why I recently joined. The set up was taken in more of from the fact where I live we are not allowed to have exotic pets, and because of the glass containers we retrofited. I more of just wanted to see if it would work, and also set a habitat with humidity recommened by the breeder.

Poec54

3 Year Member
That is kind of why I recently joined. The set up was taken in more of from the fact where I live we are not allowed to have exotic pets, and because of the glass containers we retrofited. I more of just wanted to see if it would work, and also set a habitat with humidity recommened by the breeder.

No tarantulas need that kind of humidity. These are spiders not fish.

Think about a tropical/subtropical climate. I'm in Florida and our rainy season is the summer; we get 10"+ per month then (similar climate to central Brasil). Clouds up in the afternoon, pours an inch or more, then the sun comes out and dries things out by evening. Yes we're humid, but there's breezes and sunshine so things don't stay soggy for long. It may not rain again for a few days. The rest of the year is much drier, with sporadic rain. Why would a spider from this climate need any special care in captivity, especially tubes, heating pads, and a water pan? That's way too much humidity, and that doesn't even count all the misting. My G pulchra slings (Brazilian Black), are on fairly dry top soil with a small water bowl and doing great a year later. Never misted them, they've had small water bowls from day one.

A lot of beginners get all worried about trying to hit a specific humidity percentage, like the author of the care sheet has ever been to that country or knows about its various climates and seasons. They usually a pick number out of the air and then naïve people jump thru hoops trying to maintain it.

Viscus

3 Year Member
I feel I may have insulted you. My bad. We do not keep this sling at 80% which I shoulf have said. As in the encloser it is in stayed too wet. We mostly keep him/her dialed back to around 50%-60% with misting once maybe twice a week depending on how dry it is. This was just a set I played with BEFORE we got the sling. We have since leave it to food, and the co co fiber to keep him/her hydrated. My bad on not including that tid bit.

Poec54

3 Year Member
I feel I may have insulted you. My bad. We do not keep this sling at 80% which I shoulf have said. As in the encloser it is in stayed too wet. We mostly keep him/her dialed back to around 50%-60% with misting once maybe twice a week depending on how dry it is. This was just a set I played with BEFORE we got the sling. We have since leave it to food, and the co co fiber to keep him/her hydrated. My bad on not including that tid bit.

Not insulted at all. I'm giving advice to keep Brazilian Blacks alive, for you and whoever reads this.

Ian Spackman

3 Year Member
Ian's Phone_20150227_10_25_03_Pro.jpg

Poec54

3 Year Member
Here is the final result for my Burgundy Goliath setup, I thought I would give it a share

Several questions:
- I don't see a water bowl, is there one in there?
- The branch in the front corner looks nice but is a hazard. I wouldn't have that in there. Tarantulas have soft abdomens.
- What's the lid make of? If it's screen, terrestrials can chew right thru that (fiberglass and aluminum). Screen also lets out too much humidity.

Ian Spackman

3 Year Member
Water bowl is in there, just a little bit difficult to see with the moss, and I actually replaced the screw with a smooth plastic in order to retain the humidity. It was a real pain but I feel it worked out really well. And the branch type thing is actually a kind of stone that I have since covered completely in moss.

Ian Spackman

3 Year Member
I used the same lid that came with the Exo-Terra. I simply removed the screen and used adhesive (E3000) to attach the plastic to the frame of the lid. I had previously drilled holes in the plastic along with ones that I could run zip ties through in order to be sure the top wouldn't 'unstick' and drop on the T. It was actually a lot easier than I expected it to be, but I am very pleased with the turn out.

Latest posts