• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Want to stop seeing spam posts? Read this.

CrypticSpider

3 Year Member
Spam posts have been quite annoying for a long time now. The Moderators do a great job of removing the posts when they are reported or found. However.... their Mod status limits them in preventing them from re-registering and posting again with a different name. It's an endless cycle that can only be stopped by an experienced person with knowledge in this type of elimination.

I have that experience.

Want to see this site permanently free of this spamming?

If I get enough comments from angry spam-haters, I may email the admin with an offer to help out, with a link provided to this thread as proof that members are tired of seeing the spam

I have no wish to be a moderator, just a serious background "lurker" who can help make this site more enjoyable for all. (including the moderators)

Thoughts/comments welcomed.

CS

CrypticSpider

3 Year Member
With You 100% on this. I am sick to death of this company filling my inbox with their Rubbish. something has to be done. It`s even more annoying , having them make up false identities, just so they can advertise their Crap on this Forum .
I Say let`s put a stop to it now. NO interest in Tarantula`s . Stay Away .:mad:

Thank you, @LC72 - :)

CrypticSpider

3 Year Member
Here is an example of what I do.
SpamTF03.JPG

Note that I can find the IP addresses, spammer email, and country of origin.

If I can do this from OUTSIDE the forum, imagine what I can do INSIDE the forum.

Wham, bam, no more spam. :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There is already a system in place to close any other accounts from the IP address. I close all reported spam emails as soon as I log on and regularly check for more and close them during the day. Unfortunately I do need to go to bed at some point so some may not get dealt with immediately.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
wait, our mods can't ban IP's?
honestly?!
Haven't ever done mod/admin work on a forum where that wasn't available to me...
and I'm old, so I've done it more than a time or two lol

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No, we cannot ban IPs, we can only ban user accounts which means the spammers just make new accounts and start up again.
I have been able to ban many acounts before they are able to post to a thread, they always put their links in their profile first which is a huge flag.
The same IPs keep popping up over and over. I would like to see CrypticSpider brought in to help with IP searches, and shutting the spammers down before they even post. Would also be nice if at least one mod had the ability to ban IPs.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Spammers have a full time job creating spam - so getting rid of it is a full time job as well. If there is a more efficient way to deal with it, that frees up the mods to do all the other mod stuff and participate more, I'm all for it. Nothing turns people off being a mod more than spending all their time here removing spam.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Morning everyone, yet again more crap in inbox. one of them is from an Angel Moret. check her out on her you tube page, I have left her a lovely message.
Perfect Holiday Look (Makeup and Hair) Angel Moret. you`ll see the message there. We can`t stop them all. But this is a start.
i've never gotten messages in my inbox here from the spam.

wait, our mods can't ban IP's?
honestly?!
Haven't ever done mod/admin work on a forum where that wasn't available to me...
and I'm old, so I've done it more than a time or two lol
Josh would need to give elevated permissions to ban IP's and domains.