• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

wall love

vector

3 Year Member
Shes always on the top side of her enclosure. Never on her bark . she hasn't build a web yet but she eats. She moves from place to place but always on top. Anyone know y this is?

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine never builds webs except when she is about to molt, molts in it and then tears it down. she is always on the side of her enclosure up top. hardly ever on her decorations. she eats and drinks. so....what else can u do. sometimes they just find a spot they like.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Shes always on the top side of her enclosure. Never on her bark . she hasn't build a web yet but she eats. She moves from place to place but always on top. Anyone know y this is?
Some Avics will take weeks or even months to web. Avics are arboreal therefore they don't come down to the ground very often.

Provide them with lots of anchor points. I always add in plastic vines or plants in my Avicularia enclosures and they all web nicely now.

vector

3 Year Member
I havent seen her on the cork bark since i rehoused her. Got her on my palm then onto the bark then she just got on the side top. Its been a week now. I think shes not settled in yet comfortly.

Attachments

• 20151102_170313.jpg
    20151102_170313.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 24

timc

3 Year Member
Like Entity mine webs, molts, tears it down, eats and sits in funny spots. In fact she (Avic avic) only touches the ground when a cricket makes it way down there!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The enclosure is a bit large for a tarantula of that size. It's only been a week? Give it some more time.

vector

3 Year Member
I might gotten the arboreal thing too series and bought this tall one. I will add more fake plant or bark so it gets a bit roomy in there. What do u guys think

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I just got a juvi Avic. Same with mine. Top side and rarely moves. Doesn't go in its hide I made, hasn't eaten yet either. Since it doesn't come down often, I'm lost as to where to put its food. I dropped live food in, it runs around n hides, T never engages. I crush the head, put it on floor, or up in the hide, T never goes near it. Guess I'll keep trying til it gets hungry

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just got a juvi Avic. Same with mine. Top side and rarely moves. Doesn't go in its hide I made, hasn't eaten yet either. Since it doesn't come down often, I'm lost as to where to put its food. I dropped live food in, it runs around n hides, T never engages. I crush the head, put it on floor, or up in the hide, T never goes near it. Guess I'll keep trying til it gets hungry
They don't normally use premade hides. If provided with a piece of cork bark and some plastic plants/vines that are placed up high, they will create a tube shaped web between that and the wall. You've only had yours a few days? I'd give it a few weeks before you start getting concerned, some Avics are just slow to web. The fact that it's not eating could be related to many things, it could be in premolt even.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Yea, there's a nice tall piece of wood and some art plant pieces in there and the hide at top. I may add a couple more places for it to chill. I just figured it needed to calm down before eating. I just don't know where to leave its food. I added more vent holes since this pic. I also removed most of the substrate

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yea, there's a nice tall piece of wood and some art plant pieces in there and the hide at top. I may add a couple more places for it to chill. I just figured it needed to calm down before eating. I just don't know where to leave its food. I added more vent holes since this pic. I also removed most of the substrate
Most times I tong feed mine, but I've seen all of my arboreals come down to ground level to hunt, I just saw my P mettalica dig up a roach 2 days ago..fantastic to watch. Avics stay on the wall, 99% of the time, in my experience. Mine rarely leave the wall, and they're fat and happy. If you DO tong feed, and haven't done it before, just remember, hold your hand steady and don't jerk the tongs away when they lunge. Just grab the very edge of the prey and present it to them, so they don't end up biting at the tongs. Many times they'll put one or two legs on the tongs when they grab the prey, if you jerk away you will injure them..if they crawl up the tongs, let them, they've done it to me several times and never tried to bite, they just get excited sometimes when they eat :) That's just for Avics. I don't recommend anyone feed Poecis like that. It's not worth the painful bite, if one gets squirrelly.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Having substrate is a good idea even for Avics as it'll help retain some moisture. Just drop the food in front of them they'll eventually find it even if they don't eat it right away. Yours could very well be in premolt so you may want to keep prey items out of the enclosure until you can confirm this.

Lady Arachnid

3 Year Member
I might gotten the arboreal thing too series and bought this tall one. I will add more fake plant or bark so it gets a bit roomy in there. What do u guys think
I like it! Have you tried silk plants? I have mine go from the bottom all the way to the top.My Avic never goes near the bottom. I also tong feed or drop it into the web.