• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Waiting

Pants__cat

3 Year Member
Haven't seen my T since December, feeling very discouraged. Everyone on here has been super supportive as I know they do burrow and that's normal but it's hard when everybody that comes over that doesn't know about Ts keeps telling me it's probably dead

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Which tarantula do you have?
Has he/she been eating?
You know that some Ts can go unseen for long periods of time. Don't let others get you down.

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
Don't be discouraged! T's are so energy efficient many can go a long time without food. Keep the water full and hopefully you'll see her again soon. How big is she? It sounds gross but if she does pass away you may be able to smell her.

Pants__cat

3 Year Member
Don't be discouraged! T's are so energy efficient many can go a long time without food. Keep the water full and hopefully you'll see her again soon. How big is she? It sounds gross but if she does pass away you may be able to smell her.

Not big, maybe an inch

Pants__cat

3 Year Member
Which tarantula do you have?
Has he/she been eating?
You know that some Ts can go unseen for long periods of time. Don't let others get you down.
G rosea which I've heard is a tricky one (I've had one before but it was mature, this is my first sling)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
if she does pass away you may be able to smell her.
only if her body got moisture and moldy. ;)

If she's about an inch i'd carefully dig her out to see what's up. I've never heard of a rosea at that size burrowing in for 2 months. the 2 i have haven't burrowed at all, the only digging they've done is to expand their hide a bit.

If you want to dig it out and make sure it's alive to give yourself a bit of reassurance, use a small brush, pretend you're an archaeologist and gently excavate his burrow. In my experience doing it this way draws them to the brush like it's prey, plus it's safe for the T.

Pants__cat

3 Year Member
Well, I did it, picked through all the substrate and no spider Pretty bummed, not sure how it could've gotten out but it's definitely not gonna be showing up in the house after this long

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry to hear about you T..That's what happened to my first suntiger. It burrowed ended up dying some how and i guess deteriorated. wasnt anything left when i did a dig and an escape was impossible.

Latest posts