• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Very Interesting

xrunner

3 Year Member
Hello all,

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi to everyone. I'm a retired Soldier with lots of time on my hands since I no longer work and my kids are gone. Anyways, I was watching TV and saw a show where a guy was hunting T's in the jungle and it was the most interesting thing I've seen in a very long time. That was seven months ago. Since then I have read the Tarantula Keepers Guide and have read just about everything I could find online to include this forum. It was been really exciting. I have owned reptiles but never an T's. Learning something new is just fun to me. While I have not decided to own any I can see why all of you find them so fascinating. All these years I thought they were just big brown hairy spiders that would bite the piss out of you if they crawl into your sleeping bag or boots. While I don't have anything to offer, I just wanted to express my gratitude for the posts I have read. You guys are class acts in my book.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi.
So what is stopping you from keeping one? How can you resist all of those beauties around especially when they are so easy to look after?:T:

I too am retired and a recovering arachnophobe. I bought my first T 10 months ago to get me over that fear, I now have 20 but although I love my Ts I still hate spiders loose in the house.

xrunner

3 Year Member
Well a couple reasons really, first I'm on a pension so I can't really go out and buy everything I need in one shot. So I have buy a little at a time. Another reason is I really don't know which one I want to try first to be honest. There are so many out there to choose from I'm really not sure which one I want to start with. Based on what I have read NW terrestrials is where I would most likely be looking. Also its winter so when/if I do make my mind up it will most likely be this spring. Until then I'll just keep reading and learning.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I know what you mean about living on a pension but at least Ts are relatively cheap. I plunged in at the deep end and bought an OBT as my first simply because I loved the bright orange. That back fired as I've not seen her for months except a few legs. One I do love, that is considered a good beginners T is the B. albopilosum, not colourful but great little characters.

Last edited:

xrunner

3 Year Member
I will defiantly look that one up. I'm leaning towards B. smithi or B. vagans (hope I typed the names correctly). The scientific names are a little hard for me right now so when every I see one in text, I'm hitting google. I checked out a few T's in the LPS and all I found was G. rosea. From what I read that would be a great starter, however one's I saw at the LPS didn't' look that healthy to me. So I will most likely order online this spring.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello all,

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi to everyone. I'm a retired Soldier with lots of time on my hands since I no longer work and my kids are gone. Anyways, I was watching TV and saw a show where a guy was hunting T's in the jungle and it was the most interesting thing I've seen in a very long time. That was seven months ago. Since then I have read the Tarantula Keepers Guide and have read just about everything I could find online to include this forum. It was been really exciting. I have owned reptiles but never an T's. Learning something new is just fun to me. While I have not decided to own any I can see why all of you find them so fascinating. All these years I thought they were just big brown hairy spiders that would bite the piss out of you if they crawl into your sleeping bag or boots. While I don't have anything to offer, I just wanted to express my gratitude for the posts I have read. You guys are class acts in my book.
Welcome xrunner,

I like u have owned reptiles my whole life but never tarantulas. I just got a little b. smithi about 2 weeks ago. My very first one. I gotta say its pretty cool! They definetly are a lot less work than their reptile counterparts thats for sure! and take up a lot less space. lol my last reptilian companion was a 7 foot iguana named louie. RIP... who took up ALOT of space. lol But if you r interested in getting one....or more. we r here to help and chat it up with u!

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi.
So what is stopping you from keeping one? How can you resist all of those beauties around especially when they are so easy to look after?:T:

I too am retired and a recovering arachnophobe. I bought my first T 10 months ago to get me over that fear, I now have 20 but although I love my Ts I still hate spiders loose in the house.
Amen! lol thats funny. my view of my little b. smithi is completley different than the rogue wolf spiders and the black widow i killed in my basement.

Frances Pauli

3 Year Member
Great choice in reading material, and kudos for taking your time and doing your research. They are tempting little wonders, but starting out on the right foot never hurts. :)
Welcome to the hobby/enthusiasm. No matter how you approach it, it's a fabulous interest and this site is a great find right out of the gate.

Luck!

Latest posts