• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vertical Aquarium Converions for Arboreals.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here's how I house my mid-large adult arboreal tarantulas.

Here's what you need:
5.5 Gallon glass aquarium (10 gallon for really big spiders)
Appropriately sized screen lid
3 screen cover clips.
Clear silicone
Sheet of Plexi Glass/Acrylic
Acrylic Cutting tool
Utility Knife/Straight Edge Razor.
Substrate
Cork Bark, or branches.

1) Start by turning your aquarium vertical. Using your Utility knife/Straight edge razor, cut about 1" of the silicone(already in the tank) out of the two bottom corners.

2) Using your Acrylic cutting tool and sheet of acrylic, Cut a rectangle to fit inside the lip of the tank.

3) using your silicone, apply a three sided layer the side of your acrylic rectangle to the inside of the lip.

4) press the acrylic rectangle into place on the inside of the lip.

5) allow 4 hours to dry.

6) After drying, trim off any excess silicone using your Utility Knife/Straight Edge Razor

7) Add Substrate, Cork, Decorations, Tarantula etc.

8) apply screen lid and fasten with screen cover clips on three sides.

9) if you have humidity issue you can silicon a piece of Acrylic to the inside of the screen. Just drill holes for ventilation.

Fred Scrooby

3 Year Member
Here's how I house my mid-large adult arboreal tarantulas.

Here's what you need:
5.5 Gallon glass aquarium (10 gallon for really big spiders)
Appropriately sized screen lid
3 screen cover clips.
Clear silicone
Sheet of Plexi Glass/Acrylic
Acrylic Cutting tool
Utility Knife/Straight Edge Razor.
Substrate
Cork Bark, or branches.

1) Start by turning your aquarium vertical. Using your Utility knife/Straight edge razor, cut about 1" of the silicone(already in the tank) out of the two bottom corners.

2) Using your Acrylic cutting tool and sheet of acrylic, Cut a rectangle to fit inside the lip of the tank.

3) using your silicone, apply a three sided layer the side of your acrylic rectangle to the inside of the lip.

4) press the acrylic rectangle into place on the inside of the lip.

5) allow 4 hours to dry.

6) After drying, trim off any excess silicone using your Utility Knife/Straight Edge Razor

7) Add Substrate, Cork, Decorations, Tarantula etc.

8) apply screen lid and fasten with screen cover clips on three sides.

9) if you have humidity issue you can silicon a piece of Acrylic to the inside of the screen. Just drill holes for ventilation.

Like your Idea.

Fred Scrooby

3 Year Member
IMG-20131012-00050.jpg
See If can upload our new housing complex. We my son and I are building our own Duplex housing units 10" x 10" x 20" high. Our front vent can swifel to allow for feeding. Front hinged door

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very nice, but you're going to need more ventilation. Otherwise you'll have stagnant air that breeds bacteria.

Fred Scrooby

3 Year Member
Kenny thanks, we maintain temp between 78 - 82f and the humidity between 75 and 85%, remember we are in a different country.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm not talking about humidity or heat levels. I'm talking about air flow. If you don't have air flow mold and bacteria can be come real problems. Stagnant air is probably the biggest problem with humid enclosures.

Latest posts