1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Use both mealworms and crickets

Discussion in 'Tarantula Feeding and Feeder Insects' started by spider4747, Dec 23, 2015.

1. spider4747

spider4747 Member

Veronica and Belial usually eat crickets. Veronica eats mediums with ease and can tackle meal worms one by one. I noticed that when both crickets and meal worms are used the roseys develop wonderfully strong looking joints and colorful hairs. Belial currently has purplish little bristles on her fangs, which she revealed to me (flossing) are close to an inch long and fine-tuned little hooks. Veronica is growing rapidly to adulthood and developing a fine coat of rosey pinkish hairs too.
    Evanthomas likes this.
  2. Entity

Entity Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

yeah it is a good idea to offer a variety to u spiders as much as they will accept. their are different vitamins and fat levels in different prey foods. so it makes sense that they would get more from that. plus spiders in the wild eat whatever they can overpower, not just one thing.
    Evanthomas likes this.
  3. Scoolman

Scoolman Well-Known Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

Roaches are my staple, crickets, and sometimes super worms, are offered occasionally for variety.
    All my feeders get my roach chow and fruits/veggies before being fed off.
    Evanthomas likes this.
  4. MassExodus

MassExodus Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

I have been using straight dubias for awhile now. I just bought two containers of superworms. After 3 months of just roaches, my spiders seemed to tear into them with gusto. I think a little variation is probably the best thing as well.
    Evanthomas and Kymura like this.
  5. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

Mine must be fussy buggers! Apart from my GBB, anything not cricket related is usually snubbed completely. My A. Geniculata actually runs away from locusts and mealworm despite being 7/8 inches in length. Weird ☺
    Evanthomas and Bugmom like this.
  6. MassExodus

That is weird. My genic will eat anything..just found her freshly molted this morning
    Evanthomas likes this.
  7. Chubbs

Chubbs Well-Known Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

Some are just fussy eaters. I'm trying to establish a colony of silkworms and hornworms. Silkworms seem to get one of the best feeding responses out of even the pickiest eaters. Sadly they're hard to find this time of year, since they don't breed as well in cold weather, so many vendors don't have them atm. I have never tried hornworms yet, but I have heard nothing but good things about them.
    Evanthomas likes this.
  8. Bugmom

Bugmom Active Member

Crickets (and anything that moves like a cricket) has always had the best feeding response from my tarantulas, which means they're more likely to eat it, which means healthier spiders. Mealworms and superworms are a pain because unless you crush the head, they'll just start burrowing into substrate immediately (and I've also had slings devoured by mealworms). They're a bit of a last resort for me. Dubias were hit and miss, but more misses than it was worth to keep a colony going. Same with lobster roaches. Neither moved enough for most T's to think "oh that's food" and the little nymphs just went straight to burrowing.

My favorite feeder so far is the banded cricket, but alas I cannot get them now that I've moved. I'm going to be ordering some Turkish roaches though (red runners) as those are the "crickets of the roach world." Speedy and meaty! I'd like to get a colony of them going so I can stop going to Petsmart once a week for crickets.

Since no one knows what exactly the optimal nutrition requirements are of tarantulas, I'm hesitant to say any particular feeder is "more nutritious" than another. It can't be "more" if there isn't a baseline to begin with.
    Evanthomas, MiaWolf42 and MassExodus like this.
  9. MassExodus

I've been feeding dubia and superworms for years without any fuss, and recently started a lateralis colony. I think you'll be pleased with them. They trigger hits like crickets, my spiders all love them. They're fast but its easy to just tap an egg carton over a catch cup for feeding. You say mealworms ate a sling of yours? Could you describe what happened? I'm just curious, I've heard of it happening but never spoken to someone who experienced it. I've never used mealworms, but I never had any issues with my superworms.
  10. Bugmom

Bugmom Active Member

It happened twice - one was a dwarf species, Kochiana brunnipes. The K. p. was in the vial. Put mealworm in. Spiderling was nowhere to be found at next feeding. Couldn't have escaped because I observed it in it's burrow after the mealworm was placed in there and the lid put back on. I can't recall the other species, it wouldn't have been a dwarf species, but it was the same scenario. There was NOTHING left except the mealworms in those vials. Those vial lids are either "on" or "off," they snap on so tight that I'm positive it wasn't an error on my part. I've never lost a sling out of a vial due to improper lid closure.

I honestly thought the mealworm-eats-sling thing was mostly hype but it's clearly not. I will not use mealworms again unless the head is crushed and the T is mostly scavenging on the worm. I know people say crickets will eat slings too but I've yet to have that happen. However, if a tarantula doesn't take the prey within 10 minutes, I take it out. It'll eat when it wants to and any tarantula that starves itself to death would have done so despite anything I did or didn't do, and was clearly not meant to thrive.
    Evanthomas and MassExodus like this.
  11. MassExodus

That's terrible. I actually only crush superworm heads for the little ones, or cut them in pieces. I don't mess with fruit flies or pinhead crickets, I just give tiny ones a chunk of worm to sit on and eat for two days :) Ive never seen a sling that wouldn't scavenge prekilled. I don't like crickets for many reasons, but the main one is their mortality rate, even when kept appropriately. There's just too many better feeders to choose from in my opinion.
    Evanthomas, MiaWolf42 and Bugmom like this.
  12. Phil

Great news on the moult. Please post some pics when you get some.☺my B. Boheimi seems to have been in pre moult for ages now!
  13. MassExodus

My boehmei is a juvie male, he's actually surprised me with his growth rate. I got him as a one inch sling three years ago. He's every bit of 4 inches now. Which is bad, really, it leaves me less time to find and buy an adult female, which won't be cheap.
    Evanthomas likes this.
  14. Phil

Jeez....that is some rapid growing. Are you using compost for substrate lol
    Evanthomas, MassExodus and Bugmom like this.
  15. Bugmom

Bugmom Active Member

That is INSANE growth for a boehmei. Adding growth hormones to your feeders? lol I have a male as well, had him for almost two years, and he's pushing 5" but still hasn't matured. I'm not looking forward to the price tag that will come with finding him a woman, but I'll pay it. There needs to be more boehmei!
  16. MassExodus

Couldn't agree more :) I guess if a Brachy is a male and has a great appetite, they can grow like normal spiders do sometimes. Mine will eat up until a week or two before a molt. I have a few like that.
    Evanthomas and Bugmom like this.
  17. kormath

kormath Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

my boehmei was in premolt for almost 2 months. he grew from 1/2-3/4" to 1-1.25"
    Evanthomas and MassExodus like this.
  18. MassExodus

WP_20160104_12_04_58_Pro.jpg
    Here she is. Around seven inches, freshly molted
  19. firehawk0285

firehawk0285 New Member

Variety is the spice of life. You should mix in some dubias. Fantastic feeder and pretty cheaply available online. Try discountdubias.com
    Evanthomas likes this.
  20. IamKrush

IamKrush Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

I use straight and gay dubia. I dont Discriminate
Draft saved Draft deleted