• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Unique food

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
has anyone ever eaten a foreign food that was a). Spectacular, B). Good, C). So, so or D). Vomit worthy?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Guess I should have mentioned this when I created the thread. A couple days ago I had tikka masala for the first time when I was in Georgia (literally just got back home to Ohio as in mere minutes). I also had guarana which is a Brazilian soft drink, which I also had in Georgia.

Both were excellent

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
I had lengua (beef tongue) tacos not long ago. It tastes like roast meat. I think I could feed it to my family and they wouldn't know if I did it right.

I love good oysters on the half shell.

Last date night my sushi platter had octopus on it. Not my favorite but still not bad.

I've had real baluga cavier once only. It was very salty but also pretty good.

Nothing has made me vomitty just from taste. I have gotten food poisoning more than once and its not fun.

I'm sure I have more but thats it for now.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Many years ago a neighbour of ours brought some Reindeer meat back from Finland, it was delicious, very tender. Now it's quite common, many supermarkets sell Reindeer burgers and Ostrich burgers, they're good too, but back then it was very unusual.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Rattlesnake & turtle (snapper). Turtle stew is good....tastes mostly like chicken but has other distinguishable flavors...rattlesnake tastes like chicken. I don't think it's "foreign" but I doubt it's something the majority of folks would "try", lol....

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am in Italy atm....met a nice young man. . I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti. Tasted a bit like chicken too.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Many years ago a neighbour of ours brought some Reindeer meat back from Finland, it was delicious, very tender. Now it's quite common, many supermarkets sell Reindeer burgers and Ostrich burgers, they're good too, but back then it was very unusual.
ostrich steak is one of my favourites. with a nice red wine, mushroom and garlic sauce. Mini corn, green beans and spices sweet potato wedges. nom nom nom.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ostrich steak is one of my favourites. with a nice red wine, mushroom and garlic sauce. Mini corn, green beans and spices sweet potato wedges. nom nom nom.
I have no idea why, but that sounds so good.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Rattlesnake & turtle (snapper). Turtle stew is good....tastes mostly like chicken but has other distinguishable flavors...rattlesnake tastes like chicken. I don't think it's "foreign" but I doubt it's something the majority of folks would "try", lol....
That oddly sounds good as well. I am surprised I did not see anything like that while I was in Georgia last week.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That oddly sounds good as well. I am surprised I did not see anything like that while I was in Georgia last week.
Oh you can't go wrong with turtle.....it's so good! :) You should try it. A lot of folks have questioned me about rattlesnake (they don't understand why you don't die or end up in the hospital when you eat it) so I have to explain it to them, lol. I'm culturally diverse. :) Well....I would never eat a tarantula....lol....

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm not keen on meat at all but have any of you tried Wahgu Beef? Its probably the most expensive steak in the world... Japanese
View attachment 24345

Looks high in fat content. Can't be a normal cow..lol..not like Longhorn, Angus, Holstein, etc.... wonder what kind of cow that comes from??? Hmmm......time to research....

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh you can't go wrong with turtle.....it's so good! :) You should try it. A lot of folks have questioned me about rattlesnake (they don't understand why you don't die or end up in the hospital when you eat it) so I have to explain it to them, lol. I'm culturally diverse. :) Well....I would never eat a tarantula....lol....
If you want something very different, try menudo, it takes forever to make, but is really good.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tried bear and moose. Didn't care for it. In fact, most wild meat is too "gamey" for my taste, excluding fowl.
That said, once when I was twelve I got lost near the mouth of the Kenai river in Alaska. I had nothing to fish with and wandered for days eating berries and twigs. On the 5th day I came across a cat with a new litter of kittens. She was wild, so she ran off...
Yep, you guessed it. Slow roasted over an open fire, that kitten meat falls right off the bone. Trey magnifique! It tastes a bit like chicken as well..

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think the most unique edible items I have ever eaten has to be the Chinese candy that I buy when I go to San Antonio, TX, it makes me want to vomit, but it's still good.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tried bear and moose. Didn't care for it. In fact, most wild meat is too "gamey" for my taste, excluding fowl.
That said, once when I was twelve I got lost near the mouth of the Kenai river in Alaska. I had nothing to fish with and wandered for days eating berries and twigs. On the 5th day I came across a cat with a new litter of kittens. She was wild, so she ran off...
Yep, you guessed it. Slow roasted over an open fire, that kitten meat falls right off the bone. Trey magnifique! It tastes a bit like chicken as well..
If the animal runs it creates adrenaline and you get that really gamey taste, also if you keep the meat cold the whole time it cuts that flavor down. I love antelope, but they're one of the worst for gamey flavor if they run. If you can harvest them without making them run, and keep the meat near freezing from butchering to freezer there's almost no gamey flavor. Moose is just insanely good, it's one of the least gamey i think, even if it does run. Bear is an aquired taste, i love it, but you have to cook it very well done to get rid of the trichinella.

The best way to eat any of it is fresh. I always take salt and pepper and some basic seasoning with me on hunting trips. Kill the animal, gut it, field butcher it, slice off a bit to cook over a small fire. Doesn't get any better than that. :D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If the animal runs it creates adrenaline and you get that really gamey taste, also if you keep the meat cold the whole time it cuts that flavor down. I love antelope, but they're one of the worst for gamey flavor if they run. If you can harvest them without making them run, and keep the meat near freezing from butchering to freezer there's almost no gamey flavor. Moose is just insanely good, it's one of the least gamey i think, even if it does run. Bear is an aquired taste, i love it, but you have to cook it very well done to get rid of the trichinella.

The best way to eat any of it is fresh. I always take salt and pepper and some basic seasoning with me on hunting trips. Kill the animal, gut it, field butcher it, slice off a bit to cook over a small fire. Doesn't get any better than that. :D
Oh nice, I never knew that about the gamey taste. Makes sense. I've always been more of a fisherman than a hunter. Though I haven't done much fishing lately..gotta work those twelves, slave to the grind and all that. Surely God didn't intend for us to live like this. Ever try a spicey salmon burger? My god they're delicious..you gotta brush after you eat them though, your breath will be kickin..

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh nice, I never knew that about the gamey taste. Makes sense. I've always been more of a fisherman than a hunter. Though I haven't done much fishing lately..gotta work those twelves, slave to the grind and all that. Surely God didn't intend for us to live like this. Ever try a spicey salmon burger? My god they're delicious..you gotta brush after you eat them though, your breath will be kickin..
That does sound good. I love salmon, raw, smoked, seared, you name it! I'll have to try this way if I can find it around here

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts