• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Uh oh, taking the leap!

Calico

3 Year Member
I have been bitten! Not literally ;) I'm going to get my second T!! I am so excited! I will be going to a show in a couple of weeks to check things out.

I am looking for something that is non-aggressive, easy to care for, some color and won't get too big (4" or smaller) and terrestrial. I appreciate any input you can offer as to what would be a good second (beginner) addition. Pros and cons.

These are a few I am going to be looking for:

G.Porteri
G.Rosea
Cyriocismus Elegans
E.Parvulus
Euathlus sp red
B.Albopilosum
G.Pulchripes
B.Smithi
B.Klaasi

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
E. Sp. red I will recommend to everybody. They are very adventurous, even as slings. They do have a slow growth rate, but they are great little tarantulas.

I don't have one, but B. klaasi are very stunning.

B. albopilosum are great eaters and look very bulky with those hairs. I raised mine up from a 1/4" sling and se is around 2.5"- 3" DLS.

G. porteri are just G. porteri

G. rosea are just G. rosea

G. pulchripes are stunning and decent eaters

E. parvulus I can't say much about this species, but the fact that they are uncommon and in the Euathlus genus are reason enough to recommend.

E. Sp. red have the best temperaments out of the list.

C. elegans, G. porteri and G. rosea I would say have the most "unpredictable" temperaments. Remember individual specimens do vary.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
B. albopilosum are adorable, bust little diggers as slings but then like to sit in full view. Great feeders too.
B.Smithi are lovely too, very similar behaviour to the albopilosum
E. Sp. red are great characters but very, very slow growing.
C. elegans are beautiful Ts, mine has never caused any problems.
G. rosea are known to fast for quite long periods.
The others I've not kept so I can't speak from experience.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Congratulations on your growing family! May you raise a village Calico. My 2 cents (cause that is what it is worth!!)
G. Roses is probably not a good starter species. Temperaments can vary wildly, even amongst the same spider. Near a molt, they can fast for up to 6 months.
While I like G. Pulchripes a lot, they can get quite big--up to 8 inch DLS. You said you wanted a smaller T (4 inches at most).
E. Sp. red is an excellent well tempered spider, but man-o-man they are slow growing. Ditto for the parvulus species.

You have some great species listed there. Good luck. Know you cannot go wrong with any.

Calico

3 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the input!

It seems everyone is in agreement. The ones I was really interested in seems to be what is recommended and you helped me narrow it down.

I think I am going to try to find the B.albopilosum (love the "fuzzy" look), B.smithi or B.klaasi. I will also look for the E sp red just to check it out.

I'll be sure to update.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks everyone for the input!

It seems everyone is in agreement. The ones I was really interested in seems to be what is recommended and you helped me narrow it down.

I think I am going to try to find the B.albopilosum (love the "fuzzy" look), B.smithi or B.klaasi. I will also look for the E sp red just to check it out.

I'll be sure to update.

If you like the really fuzzy look try to get a B.albopilosum Nicaraguan. Most of the B. albos in the hobby are Honduran but the Nicaraguan (often sold as the true B.albo) are even more fuzzy.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have been bitten! Not literally ;) I'm going to get my second T!! I am so excited! I will be going to a show in a couple of weeks to check things out.

I am looking for something that is non-aggressive, easy to care for, some color and won't get too big (4" or smaller) and terrestrial. I appreciate any input you can offer as to what would be a good second (beginner) addition. Pros and cons.

These are a few I am going to be looking for:

G.Porteri
G.Rosea
Cyriocismus Elegans
E.Parvulus
Euathlus sp red
B.Albopilosum
G.Pulchripes
B.Smithi
B.Klaasi

all of the spiders you listed are over 4" at adult size, except the E. sp red. They're all great for beginners though ;)

I don't like the slow growth rate T's. my PZB is driving me nuts lol. So I'd suggest the Hapalopus sp Columbia Large. They're very similar to a GBB in behavior, they web a lot, they're a bit skittish rather than aggressive, they're fast, they grow fairly quickly, and they're very good eaters.

Calico

3 Year Member
If you like the really fuzzy look try to get a B.albopilosum Nicaraguan. Most of the B. albos in the hobby are Honduran but the Nicaraguan (often sold as the true B.albo) are even more fuzzy.

That is the one I was looking at. Love the teddy bear look that they have. Thanks for the clarification as I had put Honduran Curly Hair on my list. Hope I'll be able to find one at the show.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That is the one I was looking at. Love the teddy bear look that they have. Thanks for the clarification as I had put Honduran Curly Hair on my list. Hope I'll be able to find one at the show.

They are totally adorable. I got a Honduran as a freebie and promptly fell in love so I now have 3 and a Nicaraguan. As tiny slings they spend all their time moving substrate around making amazing tunnels underground but once they get to 1" plus they spend all their time in full view.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think it's funny how they call them Honduran and Nicaraguan, even though all the ones found in the wild in both locations, and others like Costa Rica, are all the Nicaraguan "style". the ones in the hobby now are all a hybrid of albopilosum and something else.

Calico

3 Year Member
all of the spiders you listed are over 4" at adult size, except the E. sp red. They're all great for beginners though ;)

I don't like the slow growth rate T's. my PZB is driving me nuts lol. So I'd suggest the Hapalopus sp Columbia Large. They're very similar to a GBB in behavior, they web a lot, they're a bit skittish rather than aggressive, they're fast, they grow fairly quickly, and they're very good eaters.

As long as it isn't aggressive, I won't mind the size. The husband likes the bigger ones. I don't really want a heavy webber or a fast one.

And I'm just learning the names of most of these so excuse my not knowing, but what is a PZB and GBB?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As long as it isn't aggressive, I won't mind the size. The husband likes the bigger ones. I don't really want a heavy webber or a fast one.

And I'm just learning the names of most of these so excuse my not knowing, but what is a PZB and GBB?

PZB is Pink Zebra Beauty (Eupalaestrus campestratus).
GBB is Greenbottle Blue Tarantula (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens)
Another you'll come across a lot is the OBT which is Orange Baboon Tarantula or commonly known as Orange Bitey Thing (Pterinochilus murinus)

Calico

3 Year Member
PZB is Pink Zebra Beauty (Eupalaestrus campestratus).
GBB is Greenbottle Blue Tarantula (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens)
Another you'll come across a lot is the OBT which is Orange Baboon Tarantula or commonly known as Orange Bitey Thing (Pterinochilus murinus)

Thank you!