• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Two Tarantulas, What sex are they?

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
I'm guessing boys? But I've never tried to do this on my own. I've just read a very long article about it. Hoping someone more experienced will know.
IMG_20160312_100612.jpg
DSC_0100.JPG

Steve123

3 Year Member
From the molt photo it is a little tougher to say. Firstly, it is an angled shot. I did download the photo and zoomed in, but pixelation is limiting. Nevertheless, I don't see spermatheca or an external uterus, which would be visible to the naked eye at this size; thus, consistent with male. A close up photo of the book lung region (excluding legs and cephalothorax, and not an angle shot) with spider's anterior-poster axis pointing north and south would allow a more definitive answer.

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
From the molt photo it is a little tougher to say. Firstly, it is an angled shot. I did download the photo and zoomed in, but pixelation is limiting. Nevertheless, I don't see spermatheca or an external uterus, which would be visible to the naked eye at this size; thus, consistent with male. A close up photo of the book lung region (excluding legs and cephalothorax, and not an angle shot) with spider's anterior-poster axis pointing north and south would allow a more definitive answer.
Agreed. I should have used my good camera. My brain wasn't functioning that day, so much going on. I no longer have the molt, so I'll wait and post better photos. Thank you for trying!