• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Treating Tarantula wounds with superglue or liquid bandages

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Everyone,

I just read on another site where someone recommended treating an open wound on a tarantula with superglue, if the injury was on the abdomen, and with liquid bandages if anywhere else. Has anyone done this? I've used superglue to treat my own paper cuts and such but I wasn't sure about this info. Would love to hear from someone who knows or who has experience!

Thanks in advance!

jetfire

3 Year Member
I haven't had to repair my spider yet (knock on wood), but I have been gluing myself shut for years. Should have gotten stitches plenty of times, but I only go to the Dr if I can't stop the bleeding or there's definitely something broken. Did you know that super glue clots blood instantly?
Super glue was actually invented during ww2 as a way to close wounds on the battlefield, because there was a silk shortage and sutures were usually silk back then.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow - I had no idea! I wonder if the cyanoacrylate is OK to get into your bloodstream in a significant quantity...

jetfire

3 Year Member
That's not much of a problem, unless you had used it over a large area. not a good idea, from personal experience. I am a kitchen ninja by profession, and with a job involving continuous use of sharp instruments, its not a matter of if you'll cut yourself, but when and how bad.I took a thumbnail off once with a brand new 10" chefs knife, and made the unfortunate decision to glue it.my entire hand was on fire for most off the night, just ridiculous pain.it did stop the bleeding, but man, what a price to pay.

Russ Hummel - Lewis

3 Year Member
I really need some advice here . My Desert Blonde T ( Susie ) has somehow damaged her abdomen. It doesn't seem to be serious , but it is oozing some of her blood a milky whiteish fluid ) . I gently took a cotton swab and cleaned the spot but there still is some oozing still. What is the best way to treat this kind of mishap ?? Any help would be SOOO very appreciated !! She's my very first T and I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE HER !!

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
If the spot is small enough I’d just leave it alone. If it is larger then I’d go with corn starch or flour.

I’ve had 2 different very small leg wounds in the past that both okzed very little and they fixed themself. Never had an issue large enough to need to intervene. Good luck!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd use corn starch, flour, sugar, Vaseline, before glue. Glue could cause complications if the T survived...by glueing the old exoskeleton to the new one. Not a smart thing to do....just my opinion.

freerangeTs

3 Year Member
Cornstarch. Someone on another forum saw a wound on the abdomen of her T and superglue the Ts butt shut. The T is likely to die from impaction now when it potentially could have survived the wound.

There's too much risk with using superglue, from your T potentially moving in a manner before it dries and causing a limb to be stuck to accidentally overdoing it. With cornstarch, you stop the "blood" (haemolymph) in a more natural way and the T can survive an extra dosage from an overzealous owner without risk of disastrous effects or itself becoming frightened from the handling and potentially touching another part to the affected/treated area, especially if the T isn't accustomed to it.

Latest posts