• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

trapdoor spiders

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So after doing some youtube "research" i'm thinking about breaking into the True Spider world with a trapdoor spider.

So i'm hoping someone here has experience with them and can point me at a few "beginner" species? I only see a few online for sale in the US, Cyphonisia and Gorgyrella, African grey and African black. And the care sheets i've found are for the African Red.

Looks like they need moist substrate for burrowing, and i've seen a demo setup on the LLLReptile channel for using a premade burrow in a KK, which is probably what i'll do.

Thoughts, tips, "wtf are you thinking?" comments? :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I will say this, every trap door spider I've encountered in the wild or captivity has had a serious little attitude problem...:) Very interesting choice kormath. They are cool to watch when they pop out and snatch prey.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When it floods down here, or just rains heavily for long periods, thousands of trapdoor spiders move to high ground, peoples houses and such ( tarantulas do it too). They always put it on the news, how spiders are invading San Antonio, and the poor little guys are wiped out on a massive scale, of course..Human stupidity knows no bounds..

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
If you are interested, there's a bridge between tarantulas and trapdoor true spiders: trapdoor tarantulas (well, maybe you already knew it!).

Idiothele mira are such a rare exemple. And for an african OW, mine isn't overly defensive. But I almost never see her, only the tips of her blue feet at the door, ready to catch preys... Stunning!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you are interested, there's a bridge between tarantulas and trapdoor true spiders: trapdoor tarantulas (well, maybe you already knew it!).

Idiothele mira are such a rare exemple. And for an african OW, mine isn't overly defensive. But I almost never see her, only the tips of her blue feet at the door, ready to catch preys... Stunning!
I think that species is one of the prettiest in the hobby, awesome colors and pattern. There's so many gorgeous burrowers..it's sad really. The trapdoors have their own uniquely wicked look as well.

bookac

3 Year Member
If i ever go for an trap door spider, the first i will chooce is this Oreo Butt looking one :D

160143-004-8B1C84E5.jpg

52e094fff812f896b32c6c4d696a8053.jpg

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From what i've seen and read the African Red is very aggressive/defensive around it's burrow, but calm if away from it. The Spiderman has a video of unpacking an African Red that shows just how nasty they can be. Rehousing them may be more than i can handle right now ;)

I haven't looked at any OW species really yet, other than what people have posted here. I'll have to look into these, that might be the better way to go for this.

i'm still just researching and gathering ideas/opinions, I'm not in a spot where i can purchase anything for a while yet. Mostly becuase 2 floors of my house have no sheetrock and little insulation on the inside as they're repairing the water damage from the first thaw this year.

Thanks for the comments and ideas so far and keep them coming! :)

Steve123

3 Year Member
I haven't looked at any OW species really yet, other than what people have posted here. I'll have to look into these, that might be the better way to go for this . . . Thanks for the comments and ideas so far and keep them coming! :)

Good news is Ornithoctoninae sp. "Malthai" is another lovely trapdoor T. :D Bad news is it probably costs as much as your home repair job. :(

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Check out some pictures of the I. mira when you get a chance..hard to beat that paint job and pattern..i really wish that particular sp wasn't a burrower...its way prettier than the golden blue leg everyone is going crazy for..forgot the proper name..you know what I'm getting a I mira. Good talk kormath :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good news is Ornithoctoninae sp. "Malthai" is another lovely trapdoor T. :D Bad news is it probably costs as much as your home repair job. :(
Free? :D I rent so the landlord/insurance is paying for all of these repairs.

Wow! if the pics i'm googling are the correct ones, the blue leg tips with the gold is just amazing. It is sad a spider that, gorgeous... for lack of a more appropriate term, is hidden away all the time :)

Damn now i have a new must have list started... at least i went a month (maybe) without ordering one :D

no O. sp malthai i can find online for sale, so i'm sure if/when they're available they're outrageous. Looks like i'll have to get one of the I. mira this summer :)

Last edited:

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For me, there is nothing more exciting in my collection than when my Trapdoors feed. And I mean nothing! Wouldn't recommend them for a first spider as they are never out. But if you have lots of other inverts, they are a fantastic addition. I put together some custom enclosures. I had acrylic rods made and cemented them into the middle of my enclosures to force them to burrow next to the sides. Works somewhat but you need to get lucky. I probably gave them too much space. Here they are:

Enclosure11_zps4f32a036.png

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That was my whole draw to them. the feeding time videos and the way my P. cambredgei pretends he's a trap door spider ;) What would you suggest for a "starter" trap door @Denny Dee

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have not seen a difference in care regarding my trapdoor species. That, plus the fact that they are extremely hard to find available in the hobby would recommend me to vote for the first one you see! I have had great luck with mine. Have had them for years and never lost one. The most common are the Gorgyrella and the Stasimopus genus. Both come in a red and black variety.

Latest posts