• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tragic loss

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
It's hard to believe that just a week and a half after getting a two new additions for my collection, a tomato frog and a bearded dragon, this happens. My friends. I have some very sad and unexpected news today. For those of you that have seen my other pictures of him, by the time you read this, Cretaceous the chameleon will most likely have passed away. He became very sick literally overnight and despite everything I've tried to do for him this morning he's just too far gone. He's most likely comatose right now and his body is shutting down rapidly. If he isn't already gone he will be in less than a few hours. He opened his eyes briefly and actually had a half decent grip on my hand so maybe he was saying goodbye and shaking my hand for all the good times these past 6 months
smile.png
One nice thing though is that due to me trying to feed him earlier but not swallowing, he actually went out with a cricket in his mouth just like any true dinosaur would have wanted, taking prey with him
smile.png
My Mom and I took this picture of him just a few days ago. He looks so healthy and this is by far the best picture of him I have. R.I.P Cretaceous
frown.png

a9v13k.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That it is my friend, that is is. It's unfortunate to be staring at the empty enclosure across from the bed :(
So so sorry. I had a female p. Metallica that died on me following an unexpected injury/fall. Tried super glue to repair ruptured abdomen, corn flour, feeding pre killed etc, she finally gave in just in front of one of the water bowls in her tank. Put extra in so she had access wherever she went. 8 days after discovering the injury/fall she passed. But now lives on in my profile pic. In fairness, she was much better looking than my mug anyway.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
So so sorry. I had a female p. Metallica that died on me following an unexpected injury/fall. Tried super glue to repair ruptured abdomen, corn flour, feeding pre killed etc, she finally gave in just in front of one of the water bowls in her tank. Put extra in so she had access wherever she went. 8 days after discovering the injury/fall she passed. But now lives on in my profile pic. In fairness, she was much better looking than my mug anyway.

Yeah, this is certainly the worst part about keeping animals but I wouldn't give it up for anything :)

swimbait

3 Year Member
Chameleons are easy to kill honestly. Not suggesting that you did anything wrong, but before you get another one I would go over and check all your care requirements. Sorry for your loss

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Chameleons are easy to kill honestly. Not suggesting that you did anything wrong, but before you get another one I would go over and check all your care requirements. Sorry for your loss

Yeah in the long run I blame my monsoon system that was supposed to keep humidity high and simulate raindrops on the leaves. The stupid thing worked very well for a few weeks and then even though I had it set to mist the habitat for a duration of 2 minutes at intervals of every two hours it misted all the time! Constantly! And it sucked water like a Hummer sucks petrol so I turned I stopped using it all together and just used a spray bottle which worked well for months but eventually just couldn't keep up I guess.

Latest posts