• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

To Handle or not to Handle

Rich Kaminski

3 Year Member
I was wondering the risk of handling these creatures? I understand about falls for the spider, and the risk you may get bit. What types of tarantulas should never be handled? The 2 I have I do handle, more then I probly should, but its so fun, I can't help myself.lol.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I personally don't think any T should be handled. They get nothing out of it (other than stress). Some Ts are more tolerable of it, but they don't "like" it.
That said, and occasional handling isn't going to hurt it. Once a week or so.
as far as Ts that should never be handled. Arboreals(excluding avics) anything very large. African, and Asian Ts. Most OW Ts... It's a long list.

Atx13

3 Year Member
I don't handle my Ts,never really been a fan.. Not really worth the risk of getting bit, or dropping the T.
But if you want to, you can, just make sure your no more than about 2 or 3 inches from the ground, incase your T gets off your hand.
As for Ts you shouldn't handle... you'll be able to tell this by how the T in questions acts when you nudge it(with a soft object incase it strikes) or when youopen its cage.. if its hissing, kicking hairs, giving you a threat display, sticking its butt in the air, running from you, overly skittish in anyway.
Handling Ts is really a choice you have to make for yourself, if its something you want.. the T doesn't get anything from the interaction, at all.

jtrux

3 Year Member
I don't handle mine often at all. It's hard to say which ones shouldn't be handled because any T can be aggressive. I have seen some mean grams and brachs so it's a gamble really.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My old rose hair Delilah enjoys occasional freedom, she is ancient and very wise. She enjoys sitting on my lap, I know this because she plays up merry hell when I put her back in her enclosure and spends ages trying to get the lid back off and bust out of there, she loves being with people and is a total angel when she is not trying to escape. She is a one off tho, my others are all sweet and easy going but I don't handle them, certainly would not have any of them on my lap watching TV like Delilah

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My old rose hair Delilah enjoys occasional freedom, she is ancient and very wise. She enjoys sitting on my lap, I know this because she plays up merry hell when I put her back in her enclosure and spends ages trying to get the lid back off and bust out of there, she loves being with people and is a total angel when she is not trying to escape. She is a one off tho, my others are all sweet and easy going but I don't handle them, certainly would not have any of them on my lap watching TV like Delilah

I'm sorry HQ, but you are mistaken. She does not enjoy it, or like people. Tarantulas aren't wired that way. when she trys to get out after putting her back, It's because she's initially uncomfortable being back on the substrate. (my LP does the same if I hold her)

Atx13

3 Year Member
Its nice to hear that you have a very tolerable G. Rosea :) I've only had... maybe 2 Ts in my entire life that didnt freak out on me when handling them, and neither of them was a G. Rosea, lol.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm pretty sure she would stay in her hide or run off or flick hair or bite me if she hated me that much, she's a wise old girl and not short of options.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm pretty sure she would stay in her hide or run off or flick hair or bite me if she hated me that much, she's a wise old girl and not short of options.

I didn't say she "hates" you. When you hold a T you essentialy become a substrate for it. She settles in on the new sub (you) and when you put her back, she's is disrubted again, and trying not to be. they're not big fans of change. It's no different than changing their enclosure and them climbing for a few days. Its not because she misses her old enclosure.
Again, I'm not saying that they can't be handled, but it should not be a regular thing.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She is old, I don't have her out often, I assumed she preferred being out as I suspect she was wild caught, I rarely let her out as she is approx 25 years old . The substrate thing makes sense with there poor vision but when she is out she sits on my leg ( for the warmth off me not cos she wants to be my bff ) my point is its rare to get one as lovely as her ( whatever her reason) and I would never do anything stupid with her

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She is old, I don't have her out often, I assumed she preferred being out as I suspect she was wild caught, I rarely let her out as she is approx 25 years old . The substrate thing makes sense with there poor vision but when she is out she sits on my leg ( for the warmth off me not cos she wants to be my bff ) my point is its rare to get one as lovely as her ( whatever her reason) and I would never do anything stupid with her

I am in no way critcizing your keeping skills, its obvious that you care and want the best for them. I'm just pointing out the tolerence issue, because of the nature of the thread. "A new hobbyist, wanting information"

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's cool, you would love del if you met her , she probably is much more tolerant than most ts and has the patience of a saint, its right to point out to less experienced people that its not good to handle them much. I thought she liked being out cos she is more than likely wild caught I also sometimes wonder if she wanted babies, they must have maternal instinct.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The way I look at it most T's interact with other creatures for three reasons: to eat, be eaten, or to breed.

We are too big for them to eat us. We are too big for them to breed us. The only option is we want to eat them. It isn't a happy place for most T's.

Richard Ray

3 Year Member
The way I look at it most T's interact with other creatures for three reasons: to eat, be eaten, or to breed.

We are too big for them to eat us. We are too big for them to breed us. The only option is we want to eat them. It isn't a happy place for most T's.

Interesting theory, never would have thought about it that way.

AngelOtter

3 Year Member
I only handle my B. smithi Ares, I've had him from a sling, and we have a kind of understanding. He runs into his half log when he really doesn't want to be bothered, if he wants to explore he'll climb on my hand himself, I never pick him up. He's also a very mellow spider, he's kicked hairs at the tongs a few times but that's it. I don't handle my P. striata at all, and I'm more on the side of not handling Ts. It's stressful for them and risky for both parties. I can't say I would handle any others I get in the future. I take the same stand with my scorpion, she's a doll, and I can pick her up if I have to, like moving her to a new enclosure, but it's better to just let them be.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I haven't purposely handled any of our T's, our avic crawled on to my hand once when I went to change her water dish though. I would have no qualms with handling her, she's the epitome of calm.

thistle77

3 Year Member
I've only handled 1 of my T's, only once and not on purpose. I was doing a spot clean of Betty's tank and she made a bid for freedom over the side. Without thinking, I put my hand out and she climbed straight on to it. I had my phone nearby, so took a quick picture and then gently put her back in her tank. She was calm the whole time and didn't seem stressed in the slightest. However I haven't handled her since. I see tarantula's as a pet to look at, not to touch.

Oh, there was the time when I was unpacking my new versi sling and it ran up my arm. Fortunately I had a catch cup beside me so I managed to trap her quickly. Not sure I would class that as handling though.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol, I had the same thing happen to me when unpacking my G. pulchiripes...seems the wee one didn't read the same book I did that said she wasn't supposed to behave like that...