• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tips on keeping humidity in between 70 and 80?

Joe williams

3 Year Member
Struggling to keep humidity in the 70s and 80s in my new tank I'm using a mixture of spider life and coco husk for my colbalt blue the substrate is damp and I spray it every day and yet the hydrometer is saying 60 any help ?

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
My advice would be: take out the hygrometer, or your might kill your lividum with too much moisture. Give it a full waterdish, and once a week - every two weeks, pour some water (my tank is 25 cm x 30 cm x 30 cm, I put about 3 dl) on one side (you can change the location to avoid mold). Your lividum will be alright like this. But too much moisture could put it in danger. You can also choose to let the substrate dry out before pouring water. If it's in premolt, you can add a little bit more moisture...

Is it still a sling?

Joe williams

3 Year Member
Yeah I'm really enjoying watching her making her home she doesn't seem to be burrowing even though she has plenty of substrate but she never did in the shop either so I've put a fake skull in there as a hide instead and she's taken to it quite well :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Humidity really isn't nearly as important as so many make it out to be. That's another reason why online caresheets are a bad source for info. What's important with certain genera such as Ephebopus, Halplopelma, Megaphobema, Theraphosa, and a few others is keeping the substrate moist while also having adequate ventilation. It's more the moisture itself that matters though, not so much the humidity. The actual percentage or number is pretty irrelevant. Even just having a full water dish will increase the humidity in the enclosure. If you want more humidity, simply put in a larger water dish and try to keep in constantly full at all times. The materials used in the substrate itself can make a huge difference. I prefer organic top soil mixed with a bit of peat moss and/or some coco fiber as well for moisture loving species. Adding a layer of spaghnum moss on top really helps retain moisture as well. Just don't worry about the actual number. It doesn't have to be right on spot.

Joe williams

3 Year Member
Okay cheers and know any good food to fatten her up her abdomen is a bit small I've got her on large crickets at the moment I hear dubai roaches are good but I don't know where to get any ?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Okay cheers and know any good food to fatten her up her abdomen is a bit small I've got her on large crickets at the moment I hear dubai roaches are good but I don't know where to get any ?
Roaches are illegal in Florida, so I use crickets for the most part.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
The environment is one that can create a breeding ground for fungus, mold, bacteria, parasites... ...when the substrate is not sterile before introduction and if feeders and waste from feeders are left in the habitat. Ideally the objective is to keep it clean without any mold, fungus, bacteria, parasites.. ..with humidity levels that are crucial for the tarantula to thrive. I am not responsible for anyone's trantulas, but my own. ok. But this is what I do:

1. one inch of gravel in the bottom, sitting in 1/2 inch or less weak salinity from aquarium salt water freshly mixed by directions then further watered down.
2. peat moss on top 1/2 inch for arboreal, 2 inches for terrestrial. Spanish moss mix clean, natural, dried for terrestrial mixed with peat.
3. hermit crab uth (under tank heater) on the side above the substrate close to the bottom.
4. One small canning glass jar full of fresh water. The pink toe webbed on top of this for some odd reason.
No fatalities. No causalities.

Just, you know, you do what works for you. My pink toe loves it's habitat and the g. rosea seems to be very happy. The habitat in general as I have mentioned has worked fantastic for the pink toe for one year so far. I am not giving advice, I am just saying it hasn't hurt my spider at all and the molting has gone fantastic.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm in the uk I don't believe they're illegal here are they better than crickets ?
Not sure if you were asking me. I don't use them since they're illegal here. The only roaches I ever used were discoids and I hated them.

DewDrop

3 Year Member

The harsh thing about ****roaches is that unfortunately they are prone to carrying diseases and personally I have an aversion to anything ****roach. I am mildly allergic that isn't medically significant, thankfully or even worth mentioning, to ****roaches so they will not be something I will ever introduce to my spiders. There are some vendors online that sell ****roaches, but they are just too much for me to handle dealing with. While they are a perfectly divine culinary treat even for people, some varieties of roaches, are even sold for human consumption as a delicacy of the canned variety in some ethnic stores complete with nutrition information they are not found often as pet feed. But there is just something about the beastly little ****roaches, they seem so friendly as like they would make cute little pets for those so inclined to keep them. I even think they are adorable, just far away from me they can be adorable. Crickets as jovial seeming as they are, are the easiest to feed only because they are found most often. Meal worms are the easiest for me to deal with and cleanest to keep. Mealworms seem to be the most sustainable and people also eat them, but the diet requirements of the tarantulas point more towards ****roaches as being the ideal meal for them. LLL reptile has the best customer service that I have come across online here in the states as of yet. You pay for customer service too, might as well enjoy it. They have a variety of feeders and you have less risk of contamination with the pet stores, it is a pet store.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The harsh thing about ****roaches is that unfortunately they are prone to carrying diseases and personally I have an aversion to anything ****roach. I am mildly allergic that isn't medically significant, thankfully or even worth mentioning, to ****roaches so they will not be something I will ever introduce to my spiders. There are some vendors online that sell ****roaches, but they are just too much for me to handle dealing with. While they are a perfectly divine culinary treat even for people, some varieties of roaches, are even sold for human consumption as a delicacy of the canned variety in some ethnic stores complete with nutrition information they are not found often as pet feed. But there is just something about the beastly little ****roaches, they seem so friendly as like they would make cute little pets for those so inclined to keep them. I even think they are adorable, just far away from me they can be adorable. Crickets as jovial seeming as they are, are the easiest to feed only because they are found most often. Meal worms are the easiest for me to deal with and cleanest to keep. Mealworms seem to be the most sustainable and people also eat them, but the diet requirements of the tarantulas point more towards ****roaches as being the ideal meal for them. LLL reptile has the best customer service that I have come across online here in the states as of yet. You pay for customer service too, might as well enjoy it. They have a variety of feeders and you have less risk of contamination with the pet stores, it is a pet store.
The roaches used as feeders are mostly tropical roaches, not your typical disease-ridden pest roaches. But I get what you're saying.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Not sure u really understand the difference between feeder roaches and home pest roaches. These feeder roaches are clean, free of disease, and MUCH cleaner than nasty crickets. No noise, no smell and better nutritionally by FAR. I understand if ur scared of them but inform urself and u may change ur mind. I've read around that 1 dubia has the nutritional value of many, many crickets.
Not all my T's eat them...most do, and they're cheap and easy to start a colony

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So far none of my T's will eat the dubai. Koby and Marley appear to be in premolt and Redrum is too small ;) Turkish roaches i'm going to try next if i can't get anything to eat these dubai. Redrum loves the pinheads, so hopefully the others will enjoy the larger sizes.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@OP, roaches, raised in your own colony, are the best feeders around, in my humble opinion. Anyone who says otherwise is a stupid head. Lol, j/k...but yeah, they're the best. In my opinion. Unless you only have a few spiders..then you'll end up peddling roaches :D

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@OP, roaches, raised in your own colony, are the best feeders around, in my humble opinion. Anyone who says otherwise is a stupid head. Lol, j/k...but yeah, they're the best. In my opinion. Unless you only have a few spiders..then you'll end up peddling roaches :D
exactly. the smallest order i could get of Dubai was 25, so if the T's decide to eat them after molting I'll have 6 weeks of food. I got 50 of the pinheads, good thing i was thinking ahead on these since my vagans loves them and ate 2 at a time before he started premolt. I'll figure i have about 6 weeks supply of those also for the 3 slings at 1/4"

My next order will be 200 turkish roaches, 100 pinhead for the small slings and 100 1/2" ish for the larger slings. As long as they live the full time that should last me 3 months or so :)

Latest posts