• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

This hobby is dangerous...

auganator

3 Year Member
So, per recommendation of the good people on this forum I decided i was going to get myself an A. genic as my next T. I found myself on swift invert webpage looking for one, and what do you know, FREE A. genic with any purchase over 100$... so I now have an A. genic, a L. violaceopes, and a P. platyomma on shipment. Do i have a problem? is this normal behavior for beginners? will it ever stop? how do you find room for all these tarantulas? are we worse or better then the crazy cat ladies? Obviously im joking with these questions, but I feel like there should be a warning when you start this hobby that it ranks somewhere around crack on the addictive scale.

auganator

3 Year Member
I honestly dont know why im surprised. The same thing happened to me with fish, I have 2 ponds, a few aquariums, and probably 200 fish in total. Why i thought tarantulas would be any different, I will never know. At least this is a much cheaper hobby then fish.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think the only dangerous part of the hobby is fighting the urge to get more tarantulas because the urge can be overpowering, the more you fight the urge, the more tarantulas you end up buying after giving in.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Step 1: Admit you/we have a problem that can't be controlled
Step 2: Give it up to a higher power (The almighty T God. Call it a giant p. Muticus)
Step 3: Make a list of all you have wronged (All of the people who think your addiction is nutzo...i.e wife, husband, daughter, grandma etc.)
Step 4: Ask for forgiveness (send a letter to all Ts that you thought you might buy, but failed to commit)
Step 5: Take a personal inventory (Why am I so f****ed-up with my addiction? Do I even care?)
Step 6: Say "Screw it" and buy all the T's you were going to get anyway and hope for multiple freebies.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
I have the same problem, not just with Ts but also reptiles, guitars, guns and sports memorabilia lol Ts are by fare the most addictive though, there's multiple reasons but I get the biggest kick out of raising slings. Nothing better than watching a baby T the size of a small house spider grow into a beast the size of your hand :p