• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The Agony of Defeat

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Was so excited because my Tapinauchenius sp colombia youngster molted today, or last night, and I found the small exuvium rather intact.
It did need a bit of softening though.
Then, off I go to gather my loupe, tweezers, light, etc. Excited that I just may, finally, get to sex this T.

Unfortunately, due to certain circumstances and an exuvium that was bound, and determined, on falling apart (no matter how careful I was), I didn't quite make it.
Argh ... so close!
Now to wait for the next molt.<sigh>

Pictured is my freshly molted T. sp colombia.
A great little (young) T.:)

Attachments

• 20170131_130306-685x800.jpg
    20170131_130306-685x800.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 20

Redacted

3 Year Member
Was so excited because my Tapinauchenius sp colombia youngster molted today, or last night, and I found the small exuvium rather intact.
It did need a bit of softening though.
Then, off I go to gather my loupe, tweezers, light, etc. Excited that I just may, finally, get to sex this T.

Unfortunately, due to certain circumstances and an exuvium that was bound, and determined, on falling apart (no matter how careful I was), I didn't quite make it.
Argh ... so close!
Now to wait for the next molt.<sigh>

Pictured is my freshly molted T. sp colombia.
A great little (young) T.:)
Beautiful T.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I tore quite a few at first. Now I soak them longer in soapy water (dish soap) and usually even if it rips I can piece it together. The biggest help to me was a set of very fine forceps, really thin at the tips. Also a fifty dollar usb microscope plugged into a laptop gives a great view of your work. A jewelers loupe would make my eyes cross, im blind in one eye and can't really see out the other, which is lazy and looks off after squirrels on occasion..

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
I tried to open up my stirmis molt and it was just so shredded by the time I was done I couldn't do a thing. Hopefully we both have better luck next time around!