• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thanks for the grub, lady...

VanessaS

3 Year Member
it took you long enough.

I seriously love this little guy.

Attachments

• _DSC7456-2.jpg
    _DSC7456-2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
  • _DSC7454-2.jpg
    _DSC7454-2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
  • _DSC7462-2.jpg
    _DSC7462-2.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 21

VanessaS

3 Year Member
He's great. How big is he?

He is so great that my heart is bursting. I really do love him.
I would say that he is pretty close to being 1/2". Bigger than I would have thought. That is a flightless fruitfly he has. That might help get an idea on his size.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
He is so great that my heart is bursting. I really do love him.
I would say that he is pretty close to being 1/2". Bigger than I would have thought. That is a flightless fruitfly he has. That might help get an idea on his size.

Thank you. We're thinking of buying a jumping spider soon, they're just so cute and you've just answered another question I had as to whether they'd be okay with flightless fruit flies

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
wonder if they'd eat a pinhead roach? not sure i want to deal with FFF again ;)

answer to my question yes :) from phids.net -
"All of our jumpers are reared in captivity and are captive bred, so once we have a species, we will not need to collect that species anymore. Our spiders are only sold when large enough to feed on small crickets. We do the hard part for you."

Looks like i'm gonna be doing some research and shopping :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
well that sucks. Phids.net only has the P. ostiosus listed as available, and says they don't usually eat anything but flies :( Ken has the P. regius, which is what i think crawls on the walls around here after seeing his picture.

From what i've read a bare enclosure with a strip of blue masking tape up the side is all they need. they'll web a hide on the tape and leave it to eat or drink. Thinking i'd put in a fake plant just for something to take up the space and let them build their hide on a leaf.

these seem like a better alternative to breaking into the true spider realm than a trap door spider. I'll get to see these at least.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I have mine in a small critter keeper. Not the mini, the next size up. I put the entire lid inside nylon stocking and tied off the ends. That way it still attaches to the base with no problem. Nylon stockings are lifesaving with this kind of stuff. My guy has some stuff I collected from outside - a small piece of driftwood, a couple of sticks, some of the substrate that I use for Evelyn.
He attaches himself to the nylon stocking at the top and stays there. Granted, I have only had him since late last week and only fed him for the first time yesterday. He is very active when I take him down for his photo sessions.
He wants to be up high, that is for certain. His substrate is very shallow.
I can take a photo of his setup tonight when I get home.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
kormoth you should send me a couple of them, soooo cute! mine are the darker smaller ones ,
I did a chia seed container for the one I let winter with me, Like a taller spice container, the square ones. Alas, its loose now as its warm enough for them. Did the same thing with the nylon over the top tho :D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If it helps as far as habitat..the one that lived with me lived in the corner where the wall met the ceiling in my kitchen. He made a small little web igloo and lived in it, coming out to eat and I assume get a drink out of my sink occasionally. I stuffed him with moths, whenever possible, and he stayed a long time. Had to have been almost a year. He got huge. Well, for a Phiddipus audax, anyway :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i'll have to keep checking the phids.net site and see what they have available later this spring. They have the best shipping prices. I can't justify spending $54 from another vendor on a spider that will only live 12-18 months tops, that's more than i paid for my rosea lol

VanessaS

3 Year Member
The more time I spend with this little one - the more I love them. Would it be horrible for me to keep them? I feel a bit badly since they are wild caught.
Not only are they a spider lovers dream - they are a photographers dream as well. They are so very calm and interactive!
I fed them again yesterday and they just sat there and chowed down while I took photos. I also took one of the enclosure I set up for them.

Attachments

• _DSC7566-2.jpg
    _DSC7566-2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
  • _DSC7629-2.jpg
    _DSC7629-2.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 11

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
if they are eating they must be comfortable, not as if these are endangered, keep them if you like them :p