• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thanatus vulgaris - egg sac

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Mum came in a box of crickets and I hadn't the heart to kill it and couldn't release it in the UK as not a native so it got itself a home. Unfortunately tonight my son spotted an egg sac in the corner of the container. I say unfortunately as I don't want to be stuck with a load of baby cricket thieves so tomorrow I will destroy the sac.

DSCF8607.JPG

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sometimes, there are no other options. I have never owned one. She looks gorgeous. Like your enclosure too!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sometimes, there are no other options. I have never owned one. She looks gorgeous. Like your enclosure too!

Thank you. I had to destroy another egg sac a few day ago and felt quite guilty doing it so I hope she doesn't produce any more.

This is a better picture of her
DSCF8447 (2).JPG

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have to do that with my widows regularly. She will lay more trust me!

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
I understand the reason behind why you have to destroy the egg sack but I can't imagine doing it ever gets easier for you to do?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I understand the reason behind why you have to destroy the egg sack but I can't imagine doing it ever gets easier for you to do?

No, it isn't easier and not helped by my son calling me a murderer :(

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agree. The first time is the hardest. Kind of like feeding a cricket for the first time if you are a cricket lover? In my case, many of my species are dangerous and not local. At some point, if I have more time, I may try to actually rear them and share with other true spider fans. But don't see that happening in the foreseeable future. Enn, sometimes the egg sacs are not fertile if that makes you feel better?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Denny Dee I do keep telling myself that they may not be fertile and it does help as well as the fact that they are thieves :D