1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

temperature question

Discussion in 'Poecilotheria' started by Tricocyst, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Tricocyst

Tricocyst Active Member

I am about to buy my first poecilotheria regalis and the temps suggest 75-80 some even say 85.. my house stays about 70-72 during winter but summer my ac unit gets down to 68 upto 70 and I'm aware 68 is to cold but what should I do to bring the tank upto 75-80? I'm thinking about a uth heater applied to the back of the cage set on a timer and seeing as how spiders don't like light I figured this was my only option? I really don't want to buy a portable space heater if I can avoid it
  2. Pearl Dusenbery

Pearl Dusenbery Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The only problem with applying a heater directly to the back of the tank is that T's can't sense the hotter temp and can get burnt if they climb over it. I am working on a cabinet that has a heater attached to it then my tanks inside it making a micro climate.
  3. IamKrush

IamKrush Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I use a space heater when needed and run a hot air humidifier all the time.
  4. Denny Dee

Denny Dee Well-Known Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

Media:
    If it is only one tank, I would suggest a heat pad. Only apply it to half of the bottom so the T can retreat to a slightly cooler area of the substrate. If you are going to expand your collection, I would follow IamKrush's advice.
    IamKrush likes this.
  5. khatchet

khatchet Well-Known Member 3 Year Member

Media:
    if you could keep your home a bet warmer in the summer, i have always kept mine at room temp with is always about 70 for me. they all do fine at that. When the ac is running the hot mist humitafer is almost a must to keep humdity right though
    IamKrush likes this.
  6. IamKrush

IamKrush Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    With the space heater dont have it directly on them. A few feet away and pointed in their direction will do the job.
Draft saved Draft deleted