• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tax-onomy

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Did anyone else get their tax returns and spend too much on bugs? I kinda went a little crazy:
2x X sp white
2x P atrichomatus
4x P sp green
2x P mascara
5x Heterometrus cyaneus scorplings
50 Ivory head roaches
and about to complete an order for some A insignia, E posticus and P surinamenses :p Hopefully the Suriname roaches will make good replacements for the lateralis, so I can release them at my brothers house..

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Did anyone else get their tax returns and spend too much on bugs? I kinda went a little crazy:
2x X sp white
2x P atrichomatus
4x P sp green
2x P mascara
5x Heterometrus cyaneus scorplings
50 Ivory head roaches
and about to complete an order for some A insignia, E posticus and P surinamenses :p Hopefully the Suriname roaches will make good replacements for the lateralis, so I can release them at my brothers house..

I hope they'll make good replacements too, I'm sure your brother would love that little "present"! :D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Haha. I'm reading they reproduce like crazy, and supposedly they don't play dead or burrow immediately after dropping them in, but we'll see about that..they only reach an inch so they'll be great for my slings and juvies. And scorpions and whipspiders :p Get my scorps tuesday, with the surinams, (5)1 1/2 " scorplings :D I'll try to get some good pics before they all run under the multiple hides I gave them and never come out again :rolleyes:

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Haha. I'm reading they reproduce like crazy, and supposedly they don't play dead or burrow immediately after dropping them in, but we'll see about that..they only reach an inch so they'll be great for my slings and juvies. And scorpions and whipspiders :p Get my scorps tuesday, with the surinams, (5)1 1/2 " scorplings :D I'll try to get some good pics before they all run under the multiple hides I gave them and never come out again :rolleyes:

I disagree with the not burrowing thing, my ones burrow down as soon as the come into contact with substrate. You'll want to crush their heads before feeding if you aren't using tweezers.

Cool, can't wait to see some pics! :D I'm also in the process of ordering some roaches, including some rarities! Let us know how yours arrive.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I kind of stopped tong feeding, I just drop them in now. I finally developed patience and prefer to watch them find it. I do monitor them though, and I wont be leaving any of these guys free by choice :) Apparently they like eating other species nymphs and have huge appetites, and are fond of moving into your other colonies..and taking over. These will be in my shop, with the lateralis. Just in case..tight enclosures or not :) The pic I found of the adult suriname was actually really impressive, they're a unique looking roach, and for some reason parthenogenesis fascinates me. By the way I collected another thirty or so armadillidum and put them in some of my moist enclosures, I'm hoping my local isopods are all I need for clean up crews. Haven't looked for the tiny ones yet.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
I kind of stopped tong feeding, I just drop them in now. I finally developed patience and prefer to watch them find it. I do monitor them though, and I wont be leaving any of these guys free by choice :) Apparently they like eating other species nymphs and have huge appetites, and are fond of moving into your other colonies..and taking over. These will be in my shop, with the lateralis. Just in case..tight enclosures or not :) The pic I found of the adult suriname was actually really impressive, they're a unique looking roach, and for some reason parthenogenesis fascinates me. By the way I collected another thirty or so armadillidum and put them in some of my moist enclosures, I'm hoping my local isopods are all I need for clean up crews. Haven't looked for the tiny ones yet.

Yeah, just watch out for their burrowing. These guys don't eat other roach nymphs, at least not if they aren't starving! And they do have a knack of getting into other cages, but that goes for a lot of roaches. Parthenogenisis interests me as well, I wish more roaches could reproduce that way!

Armadillidium take a long time to mature and breed, so it can take a while for the colonies to start up, which makes them less than ideal for a clean up crew. Still, they are better than no cleanup crew, and are more interesting than the Porcellio type isopods to me.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah, just watch out for their burrowing. These guys don't eat other roach nymphs, at least not if they aren't starving! And they do have a knack of getting into other cages, but that goes for a lot of roaches. Parthenogenisis interests me as well, I wish more roaches could reproduce that way!

Armadillidium take a long time to mature and breed, so it can take a while for the colonies to start up, which makes them less than ideal for a clean up crew. Still, they are better than no cleanup crew, and are more interesting than the Porcellio type isopods to me.
In the thread I was reading, they were saying that these are pretty much always starving, lol, would eat anything, including other species nymphs, and reproduce like gremlins...lmao. They scared me a little bit..but anyway, I'm hoping these isopods do well, they seem tough, and so far none seem inclined to leave their enclosures, they just start eating :) My large genic did get a little pissy when I put them in, but settled down and is now ignoring them. They walk right underneath her :) I found the mother load of them though, I'm thinking of starting a colony just for them, and tossing them in enclosures as needed..they're kind of cool little bugs..

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
In the thread I was reading, they were saying that these are pretty much always starving, lol, would eat anything, including other species nymphs, and reproduce like gremlins...lmao. They scared me a little bit..but anyway, I'm hoping these isopods do well, they seem tough, and so far none seem inclined to leave their enclosures, they just start eating :) My large genic did get a little pissy when I put them in, but settled down and is now ignoring them. They walk right underneath her :) I found the mother load of them though, I'm thinking of starting a colony just for them, and tossing them in enclosures as needed..they're kind of cool little bugs..

While these guys will eat pretty much anything you put in their enclosure, the aren't bloodthirsty monsters like Eublaberus. :D They prefer things that are already dead, no clean up crew is needed for these guys, they'll eat any dead bodies in their cage.

Cool, if your T ignores them walking right under her, then I'm sure they'll work nicely as a cleanup crew. :) Yeah they are quite abundant where I live, you totally should start a colony! Just make sure they have plenty of ventilation, A.vulgare need lots of ventilation compared to other isopods.

Latest posts