• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula slings

Desie

3 Year Member
What are the best fings to feed slings. I can't get any pin heads till next week and was wondering if there was anyfing else I cud give them??

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use roach nymphs. You can try to find an untended field or forest, that hasn't been sprayed by pesticides, and just look for pinhead sized bugs, any appropriately sized invert would work, just don't use a really hard shelled beetle, find soft, little bugs. If the sling has eaten recently, one week without food won't harm it, just make sure it has a cap of water.It would be safer to wait, but chances are wild caught prey wont do it any harm either. Maybe a moth from the porch light at night? Pull a wing off and throw it in :) I recommend S. lateralis roaches, they cant climb slick enclosures, they breed ALOT, and they always have hundreds of nymphs for the little spiders to eat. Start a colony of red runners and your feeding troubles are over.Hope this helped.

Rmac88

3 Year Member
When I couldn't find crickets for my sling I bought a little cup of mealworms that were appropriately sized. It cost like $3 at Petco and they last practically forever in the fridge :)

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When I couldn't find crickets for my sling I bought a little cup of mealworms that were appropriately sized. It cost like $3 at Petco and they last practically forever in the fridge :)

I love watching the little slings take on a meal worm, quite entertaining to see them get whipped around a bit when the mealworm does it's first thrashes to try and get away.

One of the forum members here, can't think of her name off hand, has feeding video of this :)

Rmac88

3 Year Member
Yes it's awesome isn't it?? They are so voracious and brave, even at such a little size

Aint

3 Year Member
I read it on here to lop the head off a small cricket and toss it in. I've been doing that. Last evening I put a headless cricket near my sling while it was out prowling. That night, it was pulled nearly under the water dish where the sling hides. This morning it was "gone". There may be remnants under the dish. I've not checked because I don't want to disturb my tint sling just yet.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I read it on here to lop the head off a small cricket and toss it in. I've been doing that. Last evening I put a headless cricket near my sling while it was out prowling. That night, it was pulled nearly under the water dish where the sling hides. This morning it was "gone". There may be remnants under the dish. I've not checked because I don't want to disturb my tint sling just yet.
Usually they'll put the "refuse" pile in a corner of the enclosure, at least all mine have. They're tidy little creatures. My B. boehmei stacks the boluses up in the corner when he's finished eating. Makes for easy clean up ;)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Usually they'll put the "refuse" pile in a corner of the enclosure, at least all mine have. They're tidy little creatures. My B. boehmei stacks the boluses up in the corner when he's finished eating. Makes for easy clean up ;)
Or in the case of my E.murinus, right into its water dish...

Venom2090

3 Year Member
larger pre killed criks work great. never used any pinheads for any of my slings. even the 1/4" ones.just smash the head and put it in, it takes some time for them to go for it though, up to around 6 hours or so sometimes.

londelsh

3 Year Member
If I can't get any pin heads I get the smallest cricket they have, pre kill it maybe cut it in half depending on size, then chuck that in. Mines never refused a meal like that before.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i haven't tried it, but i've read here and other places that getting large adult crickets and pulling off a leg to give the sling a "cricket drumstick" works also.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You don't need to give a sling pinheads. Just as long as the cricket is smaller than them. Pinheads aren't worth the hassle.

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
cricket pinheads maybe, lateralis pinheads are definitely worth it, and fun watching the little slings chase the little roaches around ;)

Latest posts