• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula Pet Names

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
One gbb was named Blue by my wife. I named my versicolor Miss Cleo bcs she is an islander :). The b smithi I had was Felina until she turned out to be a he. And my g rosea back in colleg was Slash. I have a couple of new aquisitions to name still.

Loafman

3 Year Member
All of mine have been named after characters from the Sci-fi series Farscape, except my two P. metallica's.

2 x P. cambridgei - Chiana and Crais(* now deceased)
2 x A. geniculata - D'Argo and Zhaan
2 x L. parahybana - Crichton and Aeryn
1 x C. sp penang - Scorpius
2 x P. metallica - Cliff and Burton (old school Metallica fans will get the reference)

Have no idea what I'm going to call the 19 new arrivals this weekend though! :eek:

N8tive556

3 Year Member
I only named a few of mine. Ron Jeremy, my male Lp. Slappy is the female (because she slapped him and me several times) My hapalopus and campbridgei babys are all referred to as ****head. My three new stirmis will get names, eventually. Im thinking Princess for the female @Metalman2004 just sold me. Never seen such a large spider so gentle. My gbb is Spaz, still have to name a bunch, when they get older. I just think of them as species/sex mostly.
My God this made me laugh uncontrollably for 5 minutes, I'm still in tears lmao

N8tive556

3 Year Member
P.regalis - Julius
G. porteri (rosea) - Ciqala
L. parahybana - Lizzy (Lizzy Borden)
Yes there's a back story
A. seemani - Esmarelda
B. albipolosum - Tabitha
B. smithi - Sonora
P. murinus - Oh sh#t where's the lid

This is just a few I'll update later

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i have fun naming ours. My son waits for a while till he gets to "know them" to pick a name. All of ours are named in my collection list in my sig, except his new(ish) B. smithi. He's tried a few names and didn't like them, the most recent was Bob :D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i have fun naming ours. My son waits for a while till he gets to "know them" to pick a name. All of ours are named in my collection list in my sig, except his new(ish) B. smithi. He's tried a few names and didn't like them, the most recent was Bob :D
Bob! That's the funniest name I've heard yet. For some reason tarantulas with names like Bob or Fred or Jonathan make me laugh. "And this is my G pulchra, Laquisha" Rofl

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Bob! That's the funniest name I've heard yet. For some reason tarantulas with names like Bob or Fred or Jonathan make me laugh. "And this is my G pulchra, Laquisha" Rofl
agreed, i've never understood giving pets "people" names.

Paul Bowen

3 Year Member
I want to see how many good names for pet tarantulas (or spiders) we can come up with. Here are some categories to get people thinking:
Names from pop culture
Typical, funny, or ironic names
Names relating to common or scientific name

Charlotte, Harry, Spidey are some obvious ones. What can the rest of you come up with?

Ungoliant

Shelobs mother

The_Arachnerd

3 Year Member
I guess I'm the weird one. I've looked at several boards on this topic and haven't seen anyone name them the way I do. I only keep a few at at a time, so naming them is important to me, but I've had Spiders for the past 25 years with names like Precious, Baby, Sweetheart, Sweetness, Sweet-Pea, Princess, Hermosa, Anastasia, Aretha, Elvis, and Priscilla. (I guess some people consider some of those names as "ironic")

Nunua

3 Year Member
The only one I have is my A. geniculata "Maisa". Mom named her to be able to tolerate a T in her house. I truly planned to name her something else, but mom was too fast and then the name kinda got stuck in my head :rolleyes::D

I have already decided few names for future Ts.
Females: Quelaag (most likely B. hamorii, B. smithi or B. emilia), Araneae, Cydaea, and Arakaali
Males: Gwyndolin, Nito, Seath. Vidian, and Nekarat

Someone may realize that I do like gaming... A lot. :D

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My daughter has named all my T's in my collection even all the slings. Personally I wouldn't call them anything because they ain't going to come if you call them.:D I do have a few that I do enjoy their names though... Hannibal my male T. Stirmi, Maryiln my mature female GBB, Spindra my 8" female P. Ornata, and Pumpkin my female B. Hammori. Those are a few...I'd be here for a long time listing the names of them all.;)

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The names for mine are.

Skawphz: adult female H spinifer
Trouble / "little George" according to the ex GF: one of 23 scorplings of mother scorp.

Charlotte: 1st T a spastic C Versicolor who might be a Charles but who knows for sure.

Justina: my 2nd T Lasiodora Klugi confirmed female obtained at 2" now at 5" in size. She's absolutely gorgeous and wonderful.

Maxine (RIP): deceased from fecal impaction suspect female M balfouri. I suspect but can't prove that severe mold, mostly not visible might've played a role.

Patricia: my first pokie. P straita sling. Acquired at about 1.25" now about 2 inches in size, molted 2 or 3 times. I worry about her since she only eats crickets and no one will sell roaches small enough even though she likes those as well.

Hybris: H pulchripes sling named after Greek goddess of insolence wife of the God of war. A great spider with the adult coloration but a bit of a pet hole.

Persephone: my newest T pamphometeous sp Machala sling about 1.5 in size. She stays out in plain sight just like Justina does, very similar personality.

Edited because some paragraphs got messed up. Not sure how.

Last edited:

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
The names for mine are.

Skawphz: adult female H spinifer
Trouble / "little George" according to the ex GF: one of 23 scorplings of mother scorp.

Charlotte: 1st T a spastic C Versicolor who might be a Charles but who knows for sure.

Justina: my 2nd T Lasiodora Klugi confirmed female obtained at 2" now at 5" in size. She's absolutely gorgeous and wonderful. She stays out in plain sight just like Justina does and displays a very similar personality overall. She's probably in premolt.

Maxine (RIP): deceased from fecal impaction suspect female M balfouri. I suspect but can't prove that severe mold, mostly not visible might've played a role.

Patricia: my first pokie. P straita sling. Acquired at about 1.25" now about 2 inches in size, molted 2 or 3 times. I worry about her since she only eats crickets and no one will sell roaches small enough even though she likes those as well.

Hybris: H pulchripes sling named after Greek goddess of insolence wife of the God of war. A great spider with the adult coloration but a bit of a pet hole.

Persephone: my newest T pamphometeous sp Machala sling about 1.5 in size.
Order roaches online (rusty reds) Aaronpauling.com. I get all mine from him and they are perfect! Great names!

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
B. albopilosum: mop
E. Sp. red 0.1: muñeca
A. geniculata: big bertha
E. pachypus: la reina de los diablos

schmoopsy

Brachypelma smithi - Pico.
Brachypelma albopilosum - Kodiak
Hapalopus sp. Columbia - Halloweener
Chilobrachys andersoni - Col. Mustard